Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 10, 2007, 1:20 PM   #1

This little flycatcher belongs to the most difficult group of North American birds to identify - the small similar flycatchers of the genus Empidonax. Behavior, voice, habitat, range - all are needed - but none are the same in migration. Even it the hand, experts can disagree. These pictures have been circulating for a couple of weeks, and no one has been willing to put a name of the bird from the pictures, which is not at all unusual. One person even questioned is the sun and shade pictures were even of the same bird (they are - the sun shot colors are more saturated).

The bird was in the vegetation most of the time, darting out to grab an insect and disappearing into the foliage again. I managed only four quick grab shots, only three of which were even marginally useful - these are the two best - it didn't sit still long enough when it was exposed to even allow two sequential shots. The bird was taking flies and some of the little skippers that survived the storm. The skippers can be seen in another thread http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

K10D with Tamron70-300 LD at 300mm.
Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2007, 1:21 PM   #2

2)
Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2007, 7:14 PM   #3

I am attracted to the second shot with the bird's eye, and great catch light, looking backwards. The background is attractive as well and plays wonderfully with the shot. Fine work.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:24 PM   #4

When it's hard for a pro, it's out of my league. Have you put a name to it, penolta?

I like the onecatching the sun.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 9:21 PM   #5

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
I am attracted to the second shot with the bird's eye, and great catch light, looking backwards. The background is attractive as well and plays wonderfully with the shot. Fine work.
More good luck than good management, I am afraid, as it was just a point-and-shoot grab shot. Aesthetically, the second picture is better, but it only complicated the identification. From an identification standpoint, the first one is better, as it shows more of the characteristics needed for identification. If these werenot of the same bird there could betwo different identifications - which only underscores the difficulty of these birds.

Sabine, if a consensus is ever forthcoming, I will post it here.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:15 PM   #6

nice shots penolta. i like the hint of yellow in its plummage. goodluck with the ID.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:58 PM   #7

The consensus seems to be that it is a Least Flycatcher. This bird commonly migrates East of the Rockies, and so is notfrequently encounteredin California. A first for my little spot of greenery. It is probably somewhere in Mexico by now.