Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:01 AM   #1

1) I was hanging out at my usual late afternoon spot at the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary (which means lying on my belly on a mud flat of a half dried up pond) when I noticed a large shadow passing over the pond. The sun was setting behind me so I turned around in time to spot a flock of these American White Pelicans descending into the neighboring pond.

[img]I%20grabbed%20my%20gear%20and%20ran%20up%20through %20the%20marsh%20reeds%20to%20get%20over%20to%20th e%20next%20pond.%20The%20sun%20had%20almost%20set% 20already%20but%20there%20was%20just%20enough%20li ght%20to%20grab%20a%20shot%20of%20the%20last%20pel ican%20as%20it%20circled%20in%20for%20a%20landing.[/img]

2) I grabbed my gear and ran up through the marsh reeds to get over to the next pond. The sun had almost set already but there was just enough light to grab a shot of the last pelican as it circled in for a landing. These were the first American White Pelicans that I have seen here this season. Tired from their migration flight, they were making a pitstop in this pond for a night's reprieve.

3) Here's another shot of the Pectoral Sandpiper.

4) This is an unknown bird for me. It's the size of a sandpiper and it has an odd habit of bobbing its tail up and down continuously as it walks along the shoreline. Any thoughts guys? I got one reply on a different forum suggesting that it was a Spotted Sandpiper in non-breeding plumage.

5) Ah the omnipresent Longbilled Dowitcher. I have yet to catch one successfully in flight.

thanks for looking and commenting

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:48 PM   #2

Very nice shots. I got to see my first Am. White Pelicans of this season too. I love your landing shots in the warm glow of the setting sun. Very nice.

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:49 PM   #3

These are super!!!!!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:30 PM   #4

1&2 are terrific. The gliding angle andthespreading of the wings are spectaular andthe captures would nothave been possible if you had notbeen shooting so close to the ground.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:13 PM   #5

Quote:
4) This is an unknown bird for me. It's the size of a sandpiper and it has an odd habit of bobbing its tail up and down continuously as it walks along the shoreline. Any thoughts guys? I got one reply on a different forum suggesting that it was a Spotted Sandpiper in non-breeding plumage.
It is indeed a Spotted Sandpiper, more frequently seen around rocks than on mudflats. No spots on it in winter.

I wouldn't have thought it possible, but your shots are getting even better.

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:34 AM   #6
KEM

Great series Hung! Thatlate afternoonlight is wonderful. I alsoagree that it isa Spotted Sandpiper. I had the same question and observations earlier on the same bird. Here'sa shot I took of one running around the rocks, acommon trait noted byPenolta. Sorry for the quality as it was taken from a great distance. It also had the same tail wagging action as you noted.

-Kent

Attached Images

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:08 AM   #7

Steve, Bob, Wk7leung, Penolta, Kent: Thanks guys. The ID on the spotted Sandpiper threw me off because it didn't have any spots! LOL.

"I wouldn't have thought it possible, but your shots are getting even better."

There is always room for improvement which is why I keep on shooting and posting. Thanks again.

- Hung

Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:21 PM   #8

Love the sun settin on the white birds. All very nice as usual.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:56 PM   #9

hey thanks tom. good to hear from you. how ya been? hope to see more of your post here soon.

- hung

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Love the sun settin on the white birds. All very nice as usual.

Tom
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:01 AM   #10

Excellent shots, Hung.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote