Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 21, 2007, 1:01 PM   #1

:|This is the first time I have posted a photo on here. I am newer than new to the art of photography, but am enjoying it nevertheless. These are two of the thousands of butterflies that travel through our area on their southern migration each fall. I was lucky enough to have a bush in our front yard that they used as a rest stop this year. Please feel free to comment or give advice. It is always welcomed and appreciated.

Sorry about the double post, but like I said, I'm newer than new at this. Hope it works this time!
Attached Images

Robleemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2007, 3:19 PM   #2

welcome,

this is a very nice first post and a great catch of two beautiful butterfly's

good job....
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:20 PM   #3

Queen above, Monarch below. Nice to get both together like this. Where are you located? The Monarch migrations are well documented, but the Queen is supposed to be resident over most ofits range, butis said possibly tobe migratory in south Texas.

As for the photograph, the images of the butterflies and their flowers, which are the most important consideraton,are excellent. The background is a bit distracting and could stand to have been isolated a bit better - that is not always something that is within your contol, butsome of it could have been cropped out. It is also preferable to size the image so it does not require scrolling. You are off to a good start, and welcome to the forums.

I took the liberty of cropping and reducingthe image; I also sharpened it a little and added a bit of contrast.

Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:14 PM   #4

Hi and welcome to the fun. This is a great place to look and learn about the art and craft of photography. There are many wonderful and generous photographers posting here. They offer constructive critiques and are quick to compliment you when your shots are good. I hope you find Steve's as wonderful a place to relax as I have.
2 gorgeous butterflies down and thousands to go. Nice first effort. I hope we get to see more.
Steve (smac)
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:55 PM   #5
KEM

Beautiful image! Great color and contrast. What equipment are you shooting with?

-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:06 AM   #6

Thank you all for your kind words and advice, andfor the enhancement. The photo was taken in Robert Lee, Texas which is about 60 miles south of Abilene. I used a Fuji S700 on auto setting. There were several different types of butterflies on this one bush, and they were quite active. Out of the several pics I took that day this was the best. I am truely enjoying learning from everyone here. Thanks again.
Robleemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:38 PM   #7

hello and welcome,

nice monarch shots. i too agree with the vertical crop as suggested by penolta. this helps concentrate the picture more. i also think that you could push the sharpening a bit more in post processing. i find that when shooting butterflies, often if you can get directly parallel to their wings, then you will get the best angle and overall sharpness. can't wait to see more of your work on here.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote