Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:02 PM   #11

OK folks after reading all the responses and some E-mails it looks like I am going to be a cannon guy. As soon as I am sure about the focus fix I will place my order.

Canon EOS-1D MARK-III Digital SLR Camera with 10.1 Megapixel, 1.5x - 10x Zoom and 3" LCD Screen

Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM Image Stabilizer AutoFocus Super Telephoto Lens with Case & Hood - USA

Canon EF 16 - 35mm f/2.8L II USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens - Canon U.S.A. Warranty

Canon Extender EF 1.4x II - USA

Canon Speedlite 580EX II, Shoe Mount Flash with Guide Number of 190 Feet / 58m at ISO 100

Thanks to everybody for their imput

roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:25 PM   #12

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
OK folks after reading all the responses and some E-mails it looks like I am going to be a cannon guy. As soon as I am sure about the focus fix I will place my order.

Canon EOS-1D MARK-III Digital SLR Camera with 10.1 Megapixel, 1.5x - 10x Zoom and 3" LCD Screen

Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM Image Stabilizer AutoFocus Super Telephoto Lens with Case & Hood - USA

Canon EF 16 - 35mm f/2.8L II USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens - Canon U.S.A. Warranty

Canon Extender EF 1.4x II - USA

Canon Speedlite 580EX II, Shoe Mount Flash with Guide Number of 190 Feet / 58m at ISO 100

Thanks to everybody for their imput

roger
Excellent choices Roger! You might also want something inbetween the 500 and your 16-35. Maybe the 70-200 f2.8 IS? Excellent midrange lens...cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 7:41 PM   #13

My recommendation is: D300 + Sigmonster 300-800 + Nikkor 18-200.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:42 PM   #14

hey, Roger! happy 65th!

you've turned out some truly excellent work with the K10D, but as you've mentioned, that's been in good light. the Bigma is an excellent lens, but not terribly fast. the key to low-light is afast lens and a body capable of producing noise-free images at high ISO settings. you seem to have settled on Canon, and on the 1D Mk III in particular. from what i've read, the Mk III is an out standing camera, and it's just plain stupid-fast. you want BIF shots at 10fps? you got it...

the 500 f/4L is a great lens,butwith a 1.4x converter it will be an f/5.6, which is only one stop faster than your Bigma, and at8.3 lbs, even on a Bushhawk, that will get to be a load after a while...

remember too that the 1D Mk III is an APS-H size sensor, so you're losing some crop factor as well compared to the K10D... the Mk III will only give you 1.3x lens magnification (the K10D is 1.6), so your lenses won't have quite the same reach you got with the Pentax.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 6:40 AM   #15

You could pick up the 40D if you want the crop factor
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:29 AM   #16

Congrats on your 65th birthday WackyRoger!!! If you are looking to upgrade your wildlife photography gear, especially for low light shoots, then this lens should do the trick! It's the sigma apo 200-500mm f2.8 lens. The only problem is that you better have good health insurance because it's gonna seriously mess up your back trying to haul this beasty around on your hikes. LOL!

All kidding aside. I think the canon 500mm f4 IS with the mark III is gonna be a killer combo. Great optics. Very fast autofocus speed and frames per second. Also you are going to be able to shoot at much higher ISO without as much noise. Now, I have heard mixed reviews when it comes to the Mark III's ability for BIF. Supposedly since it is shooting so many frames per second, it's ability to track BIF is a bit off? This is only what I have read from other users who post on various forums. I have no first hand experience. Shrug.

Do you still plan on shooting handheld/bushhawk? It's going to be a very heavy setup. I see alot of other shooters with that combo using a pretty sturdy tripod. That's my major concern because I know you need to be mobile to track and get close to your subjects.

Now you did mention that you wanted more low light capabilities. If you truly want low light capabilities, then you should really looking into a f2.8 lens. I've seen alot of wildlife photographers use a 300mm f2.8. There is also a 400mm f2.8. However I've never seen it used for wildlife photographers judging from the forums that I frequent. It's more of a sports photography lens.

All in all, the canon 500mm f4 IS is going to be your best bet. It's quite popular amongst wildlife photographers. You can always add the 1.4x TC for more reach.

Can't wait to see your new pics with your new toys.

- Hung

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:55 PM   #17

It seems you've already made your choice and I can't argue your decision, however I would have said get the D300 (saving almost three grand from the next step up to either the D3 or Mark III) the differnces between the 40D/Mark III and the D2X/D300 make the camera decision easy for me!! Neither of the high end camera's is worth 3K more!! No way, no how... or maybe the 40D and D300 are just plain steals... (D300 is nicer than the 40D hands down by the way) Now you have that extra three bills to put into your prime or "L" glass... I'd probably recommend the Nikkor 200-400 VF as it's the cats meow and flexible... not sure Canon can compete with that lens... wait, they can't. Either way, both systems are the top two choices.

My recommendations:

D300

Nikkor 200-400mm VR

SB 800 speedlight (best flash made by either company)

Gitzo tripod (take your choice, alot of good ones)

Really Right Stuff Ballhead (BH-55) again the best thing going for either system

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ballheads/index.html

depending on which sized lenses you buy, you'll want to look into the Wimberly setup as well.

Now that you've spent all that $$$ on equipment, go out and get CS3, Noiseaware prohttp://www.imagenomic.com/products.aspx noise removal software as a plug in (or noise ninja... a Dell 24 Ultrasharp monitor (make sure your computer has a high end graphics card/DVI so you are maximizing the monitor. Then maybe a Canon Pixma pro 9000 printer... I almost forgot to add the Kata HB 207 backpack. http://www.videodirect.com/accessori...-backpack.html

Thanks for letting me help you spend your $$$ :-)
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:27 AM   #18

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
... If you are looking to upgrade your wildlife photography gear, especially for low light shoots, then this lens should do the trick! It's the sigma apo 200-500mm f2.8 lens. The only problem is that you better have good health insurance because it's gonna seriously mess up your b ack trying to haul this beasty around on your hikes. LOL!
Here is a picture showing the size of this sigma monster:

Wooooow, terrible!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:38 AM   #19

hahahahaha. was sigma serious when they designed this lens? i mean who the heck would seriously buy such a ridiculous looking lens. crazy...
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 1:39 AM   #20

You can see the reach as well as the quality of shots taken with the Sigma 300-800mm in Sue Tranter's website at http://www.suesbirdphotos.co.uk/