Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 30, 2003, 2:53 PM   #1

Default Little Chipmunk (3 pics) 450k

Hey Everyone,

Was out today at a Wildlife walking path. Really didnt see anything for sea birds, etc. Which I was kinda expecting. However I ran across this little critter... He started to run and he was eating a mushroom. When I attempted to get closer, he decided to run for it. But a few seconds later he popped up on top of the log. This picture here was taken at:

ISO level: 800
Exposure time: 1/125s
Telephoto Zoomed: 300mm
Approx. Distance Away: 25-30 Feet

It was fairly dark in this part of the woods. And I figured it was a good time to snap a few with higher ISO to see how the camera does. Honestly, I think I could have been happy just using Adobe's "Despecal" on this picture. The noise really wasnt bad at all. But here's what I got.

Original

Worked through adobe. +30 Saturation and Contrast +30ish / Brightness -30ish.

This is the one that was ran through adobe, but now also put through NeatImage. The small picture seems to be ok. But when blown up it really kills the sharpness bad in this one. Ill use just despecal in adobe to fix this picture.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2003, 4:52 PM   #2

Russell, I like the composition of your shot

To me, your two edits are a little dark. I also find them a bit blurry and too saturated IMO.
Anyway, I hope you don't mind but I had a go at editing it.
I love chipmunks, they're soooooooo cute!!!
Here's my attempt:

O.K. I gave it another try. When I did the first edit I had bright light coming through the window.
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 5:48 PM   #3

Thanks for your edit jazcan,

We must have different taste or one of our monitors is off...
Yours is very bright even compaired to my original, and looks to be way over sharpened. But we all have different oppinions and thats why I like it here. People are usually suttle about them, and not so snooty and harsh when they decide to make a comment based on their opinion.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 5:57 PM   #4

I LOVE Chippies!!!

I like the 1st edit of the original you did. The adjusted contrast/brightness one, it looks good enough to frame! Would you mind if I printed out a copy to frame? Great shot either way.
Robin Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 8:44 PM   #5

Russell,
I hope you don't think I was trying to be snooty or a know-it-all.
I am so far from that and never meant to be "harsh". ops:
I guess I was just in the post-processing mood after doing the challenge in the landscape forum.
Believe me, I'm here to learn and enjoy looking at all these great photos
Old Aug 30, 2003, 9:35 PM   #6

Hey Jazcan,

I didnt mean it in any way. I was just stating I like it here becauase there isnt the "I know everything" style of people here. I was just kinda being funny about our monitors or we got different taste. Sorry if you took it wrong. Just on my monitor it was like :shock: bright. I do tend to think its alittle dark, but its kinda what it looked like when I was trying to take the picture. Was just glad the ISO800 didnt mess it up too much... (Good boy 10D )

But yes, indeed... I love people's thoughts and edits... Because it could be that change that could make the picture a very nice photograph. And also helps us what to look for and not to look for in the future or what to do...

But yeah, I wasnt intending to sound mean or anything by what I said, sorry.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 10:12 PM   #7

No apologies needed!!!
I didn't think you were being mean. I just didn't want you to take anything I said the wrong way.
It's been a long day and to tell you the truth everything is looking a little blurry to me right now.
I find it amazing the lack of noise you got at ISO800.
My G3 only goes up to ISO400 and that is virtually unusable.

Anyway, I see what you mean about my edit. I even re-edited it and it still looks too bright. My first edit was also too sharp so the second one I only slightly sharpened the chipmunk by adding a duplicate layer and then layer mask. Oh well, the more I practice, the better I'll get at this stuff
Old Sep 6, 2003, 3:26 PM   #8

Speaking of chipmunks... Here's a one of a pair that took residence in my waterfall spout while I had it turned off after winter...

MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote