Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:32 PM   #1

I was talking on the phone this afternoon and looking out the front window. While looking at a tree in the neighbor's yard I see a flurry of activity and a flurry of feathers. I thought a cat had caught a bird of some kind. I kept seeing movement, so I grabbed the camera and walked across the street to find this guy, enjoying his afternoon meal of a dove. Not sure what kind of hawk this is. But, he was quite content to let me get within about 10-15 feet.

[img]file:///I:/DCIM/100KP850/100_5191.JPG[/img]

NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:59 PM   #2

Beautiful bird. Looks like some kind of Merlin. Love the icicles hanging of the trees. I figure you were able to get so close because the bird was more worried about a winter meal than someone taking pictures. :G
Thanks to sharing.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Not sure what kind of hawk this is.
Quote:
Looks like some kind oF Merlin
The Merlin (a falcon midway between the Kestrel and Peregrine in size) is a female or juvenile of the pale midwestern race richardsoni. The icicles add an etherial touch to the photos. It is only beginning to feel like winter here in California. Thanks for posting these.

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:34 AM   #4

Excellent capture of the Merlin! I alsohad one a few days ago with a catch but with a bad angle high in a tree. This one is much better for viewing.

It has been quite some years since I have been in Nebraska in the wintertime......saw my share of those icicles...Brrrr.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:39 PM   #5

Thanks for looking all.

He was back in the same spot this morning. It looked like he was finishing off his meal. Left overs if you will.

This surprised me because I thought predatory birds like this would not dine on anything but a fresh kill.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 6:57 PM   #6

NotDadsW41 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for looking all.

He was back in the same spot this morning. It looked like he was finishing off his meal. Left overs if you will.

This surprised me because I thought predatory birds like this would not dine on anything but a fresh kill.
:lol: Based on the look of those icicles, it was still fresh, just frozen, like a TV dinner. Hope you got some more pictures, it sure is a pretty bird.
Cheers,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:32 PM   #7

I've got a few. Nothing from today though. I was too busy walking the dog and taking the kids to the bus stop.

We'll see if he's back tomorrow morning.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:27 PM   #8

I think we had a Merlin falcon in our back yard today. If it's not I'd like anyone who might know what it might be to let us know. About 12 inches high and got a finch off our feeder last week. It hung around on the fence for about 10 minutes. Takes about an hour for the birds to come back too.

Note: Now I've been told that this is a Sharp-Shinned Hawk.

Attached Images

Chicobiker is offline   Reply With Quote