Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:15 PM   #1

I got my D300 about a week ago but this is the first opportunity I've had to get out and give it a try. So, off to the refuge. It's a gorgeous day except for the 20-25 winds. It's keeping the geese closed up in the interior of the refuge and away from the photo ops. However, I did get a chance to shoot this female Northern Harrier. I have been trying for several years to get some decent shots of this bird. Today the chance presented itself. These shots are right out of the camera, only resized for posting. I shot her with my Tamron at 500mm, Aperature mode, f13 @ 1/250sec, iso 500. I thought they turned out pretty well. They were shot in Jpeg fine.
I will be heading back out again tomorrow, hopefully the winds will die down.
Thanks for looking,
Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:16 PM   #2

# 2 She perched on a tumble weed for a short time.

Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:16 PM   #3

Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:19 PM   #4

#4 Not quite as sharp. I think she was protesting my being there. Nictitating membrane was closed in this shot as well.

Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:33 PM   #5

#5 One last one turning back over her shoulder. It shows the highlights on her face.

Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:45 PM   #6

These are great Steve! Perfect detail's, and crisp!
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:29 PM   #7

Great shots Steve. Congratulations on capturing the Harrier. I know what it's like to be chasing one particular species around for a long time. It's rewarding to finally get the payoff.

Looks like the new camera is a nice fit. I just bought a used Tammy 200-500. A little slow for this climate, but on sunny days, it should be ok. From what I've seen of the others on the forum that use this lens, it's very capable. I hope I can do it justice. I've been getting lazy lately using an IS lens. Going to be a lot harder keeping it steady using an non IS lens. Hope my technique will suffice....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:46 PM   #8

Cool Breeze, Don,
Thank you both for your comments.
Don, I have two tips for the Tammy. BEAN BAG and HOLD YOUR BREATH. :lol: Seriously, I think you'll like that lens. Your right, it really does a nice job when the suns out.
I am now moving the other direction, towards IS. I have been reading that the D300 has given new life to the Nikon 80-400 VR. Apparently it greatly reduces one of the biggest knocks on that lens, slow AF. I may have to give it a try. I was saving for a 200-400VR f/4 but if the AF complaints are extinguished with the D300 I may have to reconsider. The 80-400 is hand hold-able, and about $3500 cheaper. Two very strong arguments. :G
All the best,
Steve
Old Dec 8, 2007, 7:14 PM   #9

Steve, you did a good job on one tough bird to capture, due to it's style of hunting.

Looking forward to more from the D300

VP
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Apparently it greatly reduces one of the biggest knocks on that lens, slow AF. I may have to give it a try. I was saving for a 200-400VR f/4 but if the AF complaints are extinguished with the D300 I may have to reconsider. The 80-400 is hand hold-able, and about $3500 cheaper. Two very strong arguments. :G
All the best,
Steve

I had that 80-400mm VR lens and it is screw driven and super slow, there is no way the D300 will make it fast enough to be an acceptable bird in flight type of lens, trust me. There is a world of difference between the lenses you speak of and remember you get what you pay for. (usually anyways)

Nice shots, Steve! I want your camera! How about I send you my D200 and a few bucks and we call it even? :-)

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote