Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:00 PM   #1

caught this fella just as he was leaving... 40D, 100-400L, 1/1250 @ f/11

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:59 PM   #2

Gorgeous! Those Red tail hawks aren't easy to get close to. Good job!

Jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:08 AM   #3

hey this is a great shot. love the over the shoulder look. very nice capture.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:42 AM   #4

thanks, guys... it was kind of a "snap" shot, he took off and i just pulled the camera up and got a shot off before he got too far away...
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:37 AM   #5

Super shot Rocky! So have you made the switch from the Sigma to the Canon? That's a real nice lens...my buddy uses it on his 5d, and it has great IQ. If you have switched, I'm sure you're going to love it....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:27 AM   #6

thanks, Don... yeah, the Sigma still isn't right. i keep getting an "error 01" message at odd intervals (for those who don't use Canon DSLR's, that means the camera and the lens are not communicating properly). it only does it with the stabilizer turned on, and only occasionally, but often enough to be a problem. i've had it back to the service folks several times, they can't find anything wrong with it and have pretty much given up even trying anymore. Canon won't even look at the cameras because the problem occurs only with a 3rd party lens. and since it happens with both of my new cameras, but never did with my old one, i almost wonder if Canon did something in the firmware that makes the problem worse. wouldn't take much - a small change in voltage, or signal protocols, something like that... regardless, it's extremely annoying, and since no one would fix it, i figured my only real choice was to get myself another lens.

fortunately, eBay came to the rescue... i found a year-old Canon EF 100-400"L" f/4.5-5.6 IS USM listed, and managed to get it for $975, whcih is a good $300 off normal price. it definitely focuses much faster than the Sigma, but there are some minor niggles... the tripod mounting collar is too small and too close to the lens body to be used as a carrying handle; Sigma thoughtfully designed the collar on the 80-400 to serve that purpose as well, complete with finger grooves! and the Canon has no zoom lock, so if you leave the zoom tension loose enough for easy operation, the lens tends to extend itself while you're carrying it. you have to twist the tension adjustment ring to tighten it up so it won't slide out, then readjust it when you want to use it again. Sigma just put a simple slide switch on the side of the lens to hold it back - one click, it's locked, another, it's not. much nicer. the faster focus is a big plus for the Canon, but the jury's still out on image quality... so far, i have not gotten results from the Canon as good as what i got with the Sigma, but then, i haven't had ideal conditions to test them, either. once the weather gets nicer, i may take them both out, put the 40D on a tripod, and take some shots of the same subject at the same distance and exposures, just to see if i can tell any difference in sharpness, contrast, etc... till then, i'll keep working with the Canon. it may just take some getting used to...