Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:06 AM   #1

I was out shooting at Bolsa Chica this weekend after a recent storm had blown through. Even though the skies were blue and sunny, it was still cold and windy. I had a nice view of the local mountains which recieved a powdering of snow.

1)

I was shooting some ducks in a small inlet, when I heard some commotion coming from behind me. Looking over my shoulder I saw that an osprey was hovering and diving over in the channel. There were a few photographers already positioned right there and were happily clicking away. One of the benefits of shooting handheld, was that I can move very quickly when an opportunity presents itself. I ran down the mud path and over the bridge to get into position.

2)

The osprey had already dived once while I was running over to the channel. Luckily for me, it had missed and came up empty. It circled around and prepared for a second dive bomb. I had just reached the channel when it dove again. Unfortunately I was still a bit behind the osprey so all of my shots were backlit.

3)

But I was happy to get some useable shots of it coming out of the water with the flounder. The backlighting did create a nice effect o the water droplets giving them a sparkly look.

4)

5)

6)

7)

Here is a piece of party trivia for you guys. Did you know that ospreys carry their fish in a front to back (torpedo) position while eagles carry their fish sideways (wing to wing) position.

Thanks for looking. More shots from this outing to come!

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:32 AM   #2

Awesome shots Hung! Man, ISO 200 @ f5.6 1/2000. You had some great light! I dream of those numbers..lol....cheers....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:49 AM   #3

Whoa!!!! Congratulations Hung! Talk about being at the right place at the right time. The backlight isn't too bad at all - you should be able to correct some in PS. About the carrying position of the fish - front to back, what helps them to do that is because one of the clawed toes is reversible, so in addition to the normal back toe, an osprey can carry it's prey with2 toes forward & 2 toes in back. That's evolution for you! Well done & thanks for sharing. Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:52 AM   #4

thanks don. the storm had blown away all the smog and the light was very pure and bright. it was mid morning, so from my spot in relation to the osprey, i was shooting a bit into the sun. i often have the opposite problem than you with the light being too bright and harsh which results in blown out highlights on white birds. considering the tough shooting conditions you have to deal with, i'll keep my complaints to a minimum.

- hung

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Awesome shots Hung! Man, ISO 200 @ f5.6 1/2000. You had some great light! I dream of those numbers..lol....cheers....Don
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:59 AM   #5

thanks dan. these shots are after i had already adjusted highlights/shadows in photoshop. i pushed it as far as i could before it started affecting the image quality. i'm still very pleased with the shots, but there are always things that could have been better. its ok because it gives me motivation on my days off to keep waking up early and get my butt out of my warm bed to shoot right?

- hung

fishguy wrote:
Quote:
Whoa!!!! Congratulations Hung! Talk about being at the right place at the right time. The backlight isn't too bad at all - you should be able to correct some in PS. About the carrying position of the fish - front to back, what helps them to do that is because one of the clawed toes is reversible, so in addition to the normal back toe, an osprey can carry it's prey with2 toes forward & 2 toes in back. That's evolution for you! Well done & thanks for sharing. Dan
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:02 PM   #6

Awesome series, Hung!!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:08 PM   #7

Way to go Hung! All are good, however 5,6, and 7 really turn it on for me. Great job.
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:54 PM   #8

All I can say is

SUPPERDUPPERTASTIC

What a fun series to see. Thanks

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:41 PM   #9

Now, that is being in the right place at the right time (again!). No. 6 is an outstanding action shot. :shock:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:43 AM   #10

Great looking shots each one and every one.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote