Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 19, 2007, 3:01 PM   #1

Jicarilla Wild Horses

I was on a ranch road short cut to get back into the forest when I spotted these guys & gals. I looked like they were grazing towards the road so I went up a ridge and parked by the fence to wait. I got lucky about 1 1/2 cups of coffee later they showed up. I made a note to go back in the early spring cuz it looks like some babies are on the way.

I was surprised they got this close to the ranchers fence.

With a close up

Enjoy

Here is a link for additional information about these horses

http://www.fs.fed.us/rangelands/ecol...icarilla.shtml

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2007, 6:41 PM   #2

cool horses. that lady horse looks close to delivery. can't wait to see the colts.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:02 PM   #3

Roger, fine stuff, I'm always impressed by the unique shoots that you post, a breath of fresh air beyond all of the "clinical flight shooting" what we are viewing these days. Wings are nice, for sure, but let's get real. Your posts are both interesting and amazing. If you end up buying the fast camera please don't focus on the speed, focus on the shot as you do clearly. Some morons in FM don't seem to be able to realize that and they do the technical thing to the point of strangling good photography.

I always love your perspectives, because it isn't photography, it is sharing a moment.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:12 PM   #4

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
cool horses. that lady horse looks close to delivery. can't wait to see the colts.

- hung
Hung, from everything I know they are suppose to have their babies around Spring but it looks like it will be sooner to me.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:22 PM   #5

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Roger, fine stuff, I'm always impressed by the unique shoots that you post, a breath of fresh air beyond all of the "clinical flight shooting" what we are viewing these days. Wings are nice, for sure, but let's get real. Your posts are both interesting and amazing. If you end up buying the fast camera please don't focus on the speed, focus on the shot as you do clearly. Some morons in FM don't seem to be able to realize that and they do the technical thing to the point of strangling good photography.

I always love your perspectives, because it isn't photography, it is sharing a moment.
Normcar, what a nice thing to say thanks so much.

I have the new camera and lenses on order they are suppose to be here on Friday and then the learning curve starts.

Wildlife photography is my way of sharing wildlife behavior that a lot of folks will never see. This is one of the reasons I use calls so people can see more than a deer eating in a farmers field. Nothing wrong with that but I think it is more interesting to not only see the deer eating in the field but to also see him react to other things around him that don't frighten him but raise his curousity.

My first love is being out in the woods with my wildlife friends and the camera is a way I can share my love of wildlife.

Wildlife forums and wildlife photos sometimes confuse me. The diffulculty of getting the shot does not seem to have any value or at least it seems that way to me.

Thanks again for such a nice comment.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Dec 21, 2007, 1:13 PM   #6

Beautiful photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 5:55 PM   #7

flutelady wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful photos.
flutelady thank you for the nice comment.

Wacky roger

Old Dec 22, 2007, 2:37 PM   #8

Roger, I agree with Norm. Your heart is out in the field. Each of your photos, I feel, share that love of the outdoors. Your shots, to me, extend your passion to the rest of us not so lucky to have the access you do. It's not the equipment that makes good photography. IMO, it's the heart of the photographer, and you, my friend have it in spades.
I can't wait till you go back for the spring foals.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays,

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:34 PM   #9

smac wrote:
Quote:
Roger, I agree with Norm. Your heart is out in the field. Each of your photos, I feel, share that love of the outdoors. Your shots, to me, extend your passion to the rest of us not so lucky to have the access you do. It's not the equipment that makes good photography. IMO, it's the heart of the photographer, and you, my friend have it in spades.
I can't wait till you go back for the spring foals.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays,

Steve
My wife has said many a time if there was no outdoors she would be #1. Thanks for the nice words. And a Happy holidays to you and yours.

Wacky roger