Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 6, 2003, 3:29 PM   #1

Default Grasshopper peek-a-boo

I got called by one of my daughter's friends who excitedly stated that there was a GIANT preying mantis on a flower and that I HAD to get a picture of it. So I broke away from my reconfiguration of the Wireless-G network I run and told my wife that I had been paged to duty.

After a short walk to their house I was led by three very excited little girls to look at the big bug... In all honesty I was a bit curious to see if it was infact a mantis as I had never seen any around here. I was, of course, vindicated when I saw that the mantis was actually a very large Jersey Grasshopper. Complete with the almost famous South Jersey attitude the specimen was aloof to all of the girls excited pointings and posed quite nicely for these photos:

Some of the other shots in those gallery sets are of the walk back from their home.
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2003, 5:08 PM   #2

Wow!!!!
I especially like the second one
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 6:05 PM   #3

Great images! What did you use to take these? I regret not taking some pictures of preying mantis' while on vacation in Memphis, Tennessee, as we apparently don't have them in Minnesota. Large, fascinating insects.

maki
maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 3:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maki
Great images! What did you use to take these? I regret not taking some pictures of preying mantis' while on vacation in Memphis, Tennessee, as we apparently don't have them in Minnesota. Large, fascinating insects.

maki
These were with the D10 in Aperature Priority Mode. The Lens was my Tamron 28-300mm XR IF with a Tiffen Circular Polarizer. Most of the image data is in the EXIF or IPTC data in the images.
Old Sep 13, 2003, 7:19 PM   #5

Default Re: Grasshopper peek-a-boo

Hi,

Very nice shots! the second one is almost the same i took at the Mosel River in Germany

Regards Ronald

Canon G3 Gallery
http://www.mediabeeld.nl
Ronald de Grauw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2003, 7:51 AM   #6

Nice photo Ronald! I love the 'greeness' of the overall composition!