Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 25, 2007, 3:31 PM   #1

Mark 3 Newbie 2nd try (Antelope)

I like these 2nd ones better than the 1st attempt. IMHO that is progress

Link to the 1st try thread if you are interested.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=583699&forum_id=11

Raise the ISO: I made it 400 instead of the camera setting of 100

Set sharpness 1 notch higher: Correct me if I am wrong (Please) but I think this new setting is to sharp and I should go back to the middle setting not one notch up??

Raise contrast one notch from the middle

Raise Saturation one notch from the middle.

I think these are better than my first attempt so progress is being made IMHO.

My 500mm lens is set on #2 for stabilization.

Suggestions appreciated.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:37 PM   #2

these are very good, Roger, but i might back off that extra notch on the contrast... the whites on the antelopes are looking just a touch blown, though in sunlight that's hard to avoid. i don't think these are too sharp at all, but that's just my own personal preference. i leave my 40D contrast at the center, and the sharpness set one notch from the top, and it's still not too sharp for my taste. the Mk III may be different, but the 40D uses the same Digic III chip, so i would expect them to be similar... also, if you're shooting handheld, go ahead and set your lens IS to mode 1... mode 2 is panning, and only stabilizes vertically; mode 1 stabilizes in both axes. if you're on a tripod, just turn it off entirely. the only time i can think of where i'd use mode 2 would be a car race or something, and even then, i'd be more inclined to leave it in mode 1...

sure wish i had the subject matter to work with that you do... here all i get is ducks. wouldn't mind your weather, either... it's been almost constant gray and dreary here, except for yesterday afternoon. today it's snowing...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 5:19 PM   #3

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
these are very good, Roger, but i might back off that extra notch on the contrast... the whites on the antelopes are looking just a touch blown, though in sunlight that's hard to avoid. i don't think these are too sharp at all, but that's just my own personal preference. i leave my 40D contrast at the center, and the sharpness set one notch from the top, and it's still not too sharp for my taste. the Mk III may be different, but the 40D uses the same Digic III chip, so i would expect them to be similar... also, if you're shooting handheld, go ahead and set your lens IS to mode 1... mode 2 is panning, and only stabilizes vertically; mode 1 stabilizes in both axes. if you're on a tripod, just turn it off entirely. the only time i can think of where i'd use mode 2 would be a car race or something, and even then, i'd be more inclined to leave it in mode 1...

sure wish i had the subject matter to work with that you do... here all i get is ducks. wouldn't mind your weather, either... it's been almost constant gray and dreary here, except for yesterday afternoon. today it's snowing...
Rocky, Hi to you and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thanks I just changed the Contrast thingie. The lens is now on mode 1.

I still haven't used my tripod or my monopod just my BushHawk and tree limbs, rocks or wht ever is available.

Thanks again

Wacky roger
Old Dec 25, 2007, 6:19 PM   #4

Looking good Roger. I'm sure they will keep on looking better and better as you get more used to the new equipment.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:16 PM   #5

Hi Roger, these appear definitely better overall shots in just about every way than your first posting. The second shot of the pair in action is really a super photo without any alterations, imo.

If I was to be picky, I'd say that the only obvious metering trouble area is in the light areas of the animals, yet you have retained some detail on the outer edges of these patches so it seems to me that it's a matter of slight degree of alteration. The snow in the background is primarily light grey which to me is certainly not evidence of radical overexposure in an "evaluative" term.

I would have to know what time of day you shot these but if in mid-afternoon or on the fringes of this time of day in a clear sky I've personally found that it's next to impossible to get metering perfection with an animal out in the open like this unless some sort of bracketing is applied, which isn't a possibility with a moving subject, of course.

I rarely shoot when the sun is even relatively high and cloudless primarily because it is next to impossible to pick up decent metering. If I found myself needing to shoot during those times I'd probably be shooting in JPG plus RAW so that I'd have the option in post processing to grab up detail in the blown areas, then use layers and the erase tool to replace the blown sections with more detail from the RAW work.

Note the nose area on these animals, the dark areas. They show very little detail, similar to the blown white areas on those white patches noted above. To me that shows that you have actually found a reasonable happy medium in metering despite the conditions; and it's my view that you couldn't have done much better with what you had to work with.

I'd suggest that shooting conditions and subjects being shot are one of the major considerations in success of metering rather than aperture settings, contrast, sharpness, and other. The second shot shows nice sharpness in the subjects and a touch of selective sharpening on the subjects alone would draw out the animals nicely.

I'd be very pleased if that second shot was mine. One thing to consider if these were handheld is to boost your shutter speed even more and increase your ISO speeds to accommodate. This camera can handle ISO speeds of 800 to even 1600 wonderfully as far as I'm concerned. That extra shutter speed would sharpen up the moving subjects nicely, I'd say.

Cheers
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:07 AM   #6

bmullen@comcast wrote:
Quote:
Looking good Roger. I'm sure they will keep on looking better and better as you get more used to the new equipment.
A little progress everytime would make me very happy.

Wacky roger
Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:10 AM   #7

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roger, these appear definitely better overall shots in just about every way than your first posting. The second shot of the pair in action is really a super photo without any alterations, imo.

If I was to be picky, I'd say that the only obvious metering trouble area is in the light areas of the animals, yet you have retained some detail on the outer edges of these patches so it seems to me that it's a matter of slight degree of alteration. The snow in the background is primarily light grey which to me is certainly not evidence of radical overexposure in an "evaluative" term.

I would have to know what time of day you shot these but if in mid-afternoon or on the fringes of this time of day in a clear sky I've personally found that it's next to impossible to get metering perfection with an animal out in the open like this unless some sort of bracketing is applied, which isn't a possibility with a moving subject, of course.

I rarely shoot when the sun is even relatively high and cloudless primarily because it is next to impossible to pick up decent metering. If I found myself needing to shoot during those times I'd probably be shooting in JPG plus RAW so that I'd have the option in post processing to grab up detail in the blown areas, then use layers and the erase tool to replace the blown sections with more detail from the RAW work.

Note the nose area on these animals, the dark areas. They show very little detail, similar to the blown white areas on those white patches noted above. To me that shows that you have actually found a reasonable happy medium in metering despite the conditions; and it's my view that you couldn't have done much better with what you had to work with.

I'd suggest that shooting conditions and subjects being shot are one of the major considerations in success of metering rather than aperture settings, contrast, sharpness, and other. The second shot shows nice sharpness in the subjects and a touch of selective sharpening on the subjects alone would draw out the animals nicely.

I'd be very pleased if that second shot was mine. One thing to consider if these were handheld is to boost your shutter speed even more and increase your ISO speeds to accommodate. This camera can handle ISO speeds of 800 to even 1600 wonderfully as far as I'm concerned. That extra shutter speed would sharpen up the moving subjects nicely, I'd say.

Cheers
OHHH no question the wrong time of the day but my clients were taking a couple of hours worth of nap at mid day so I hurried to at least try something. I did increase my shutter speed last night and went out early this morning -3 F, fog, snow flurries. I also incleased my iso thingie to 800 from the 400 I had it for the Antelope. I will know this afternoon when I get a chance to look at them if I made any more progress.

Thanks so much for helping me out here.

Wacky roger