Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:46 AM   #1

Please bear with me, I'm addicted to photographing these birds and must feed my addiction. Focus today with these few was on getting some dots of red in the background.

Thanks for having a look

Second perspective, wider angle

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:28 AM   #2

what fat little chickadees! or maybe just cold! :lol:i love these little guys... hard to catch sitting still, but worth it if you do! nice captures!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 6:00 PM   #3

Both are great Norm - I really like the detail in each. 2 is my favourite because the bird is more in the open.

Jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 6:14 PM   #4

You done did gooood on both of these but my favorite is #1.

Wacky roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:02 AM   #5

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
what fat little chickadees! or maybe just cold! :lol:i love these little guys... hard to catch sitting still, but worth it if you do! nice captures!
Thanks Squirl, yup, it's just the cold. Remember grizzly adams and how red and healthy his cheeks were, same thing with these little creatures. They make me think that everyone needs a bit of deep freeze every now and then just to perk up the life force :-) Seriously, though, I see a huge difference in their appearance in winter and it's one of those "few" really cool things about the cold for me personally. I love capturing them in really frigid weather when their bodies become a furry softball. :-)
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:11 AM   #6

killdeer0007 wrote:
Quote:
Both are great Norm - I really like the detail in each. 2 is my favourite because the bird is more in the open.

Jim
Thanks, Jim, nice to see you getting so interested in shooting these birds because they offer me a whole lot of good when it comes to photography. Metering practice with their light and dark, reaction practice with their quick movement, and focus on background because the black and white appearance of these birds demands a credible background, either colorful or not, but definitely something that "adds" to the end result. I agree with you that the second is more in the open and that's exactly why I chose that one to post. My choice for the first was the parallel attitude of the bird, very very close, so that detail screamed out, even in the ribs of the feathers, which is something I wait for, when the bird is parallel (but definitely not all the time, just when I want a shot like that for one reason or another). And, of course, the berries were 50 percent in that first shot. It's my favorite of the two because of the "parallel" field where I could get sharpness even with a shallow aperture and the fabulous color of those red bulging berries up close, which provided a nice contrast to the black and white of the bird, the somewhat subdued background not really competing much in my viewpoint. I have a ton of "open" area shots of these chickadees because I drive around the area and take an initial "test" shot of backgrounds even before I shoot the chickadees, because I know they will come and visit me. I guess I sort of prepare the studio, which is probably a bit of cheating, but what the heck, it's fun wandering around looking for a nice background, then calling in the model :idea:
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:51 AM   #7

Beautiful shots, Norm.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:45 AM   #8

I hear you Norm! Chickadees areveryplentiful whereI am but I never tire of looking and digi-capturing them. Wonderful detail on # 1. Cheers, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:19 AM   #9

Beautiful and wonderful photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:09 PM   #10

Bob, Dan, and our special "Flutelady" thanks very much for your visit and comment.