Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:00 PM   #1

For those who live in my general area, you know how excellent the frost setting was. Here are a few from today with Mark III and 100-400. I love settings like this and hope that the frost keeps hanging on the trees and shrubs. Cheers

Magpie

Surrounded by ice

Recalling that poem...The creation of Sam McGee :-)

Thanks for bearing with me again on my quest for the perfect chickadee photo :|
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:07 AM   #2

Wow! Talk about making a subject pop...this is one way of doing it.

3RDI Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:25 AM   #3

Fabulous!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:21 AM   #4

Exposures are super on these, Norm! Did you do any extra PP! The frost crystals areicing on the cake. The Magpie really stands out in the icy scene.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:49 PM   #5

Norm - you have outdone yourself this time! That Chickadee (2nd one) would make a nice Christmas card!

How did you get close to the Magpie? They tend to be very skittish.

Jim

killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:20 PM   #6

3RDI Creations wrote:
Quote:
Wow! Talk about making a subject pop...this is one way of doing it.

Thanks much 3RDI, my thoughts exactly, I love it when the frost grabs the trees and even if lazy I'll grab my gear and try to find a good background. One of the main times when I think about landscape photography as well. Cheers
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:21 PM   #7

Thanks much, Bob, a compliment from you is something that I respect very much. I am amazed at your improvement in photography over the past few years. Clearly, you love your hobby.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:28 PM   #8

Sabine wrote:
Quote:
Exposures are super on these, Norm! Did you do any extra PP! The frost crystals areicing on the cake. The Magpie really stands out in the icy scene.
Thanks for your interest in the processing, Sabine. I didn't need to do much except some selective sharpening in what I consider to be the major areas of the bird subject, that being eyes, head area, and some feathering. I never process a subject that needs too much processing. The idea of a major amount of processing tells me that the shot isn't worth the time. Sometimes it is extremely difficult for me to trash a photo because of one impressive detail, but I have forced myself to do this because the weakest link is what the viewer will focus on. If I feel that a photo needs any more than a few minutes of "perking" then I will usually trash it, and sometimes it's very tough to do because "one" thing in the shot is impressive to me. I'm learning to trash those. Cheers, and thanks for the question.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:37 PM   #9

killdeer0007 wrote:
Quote:
Norm - you have outdone yourself this time! That Chickadee (2nd one) would make a nice Christmas card!

How did you get close to the Magpie? They tend to be very skittish.

Jim
Thanks, Jim, I agree with the general skittishness of the magpie. I have worked in this campground now for 4 years and finally got a key to the camp after season, so I can go into the grounds any time I wish. I used to hike in, but now I can drive my SUV right into the campground and sometimes I visit the place just to keep making tracks into the area so I won't become snowbound. There are a pair of magpies, a pair of downies, a pair of hairy woodies and a pair of nuthatches that have become pretty used to both me and my vehicle. I even get visits from bluejays and redpoles from time to time. The magpies have no problem coming within a few feet from me on a daily basis. I have them bouncing around 2 feet from me quite often. They are intelligent birds and know that I'm no threat. I spend a whole lot of time with these birds, and bring them treats that are healthy and natural for them. I've been doing this for years now and because of the trust factor I can now focus on finding a background, then I call the models, so to speak

If I leave the campground I have the same problem that you are experiencing with magpies, so I understand what you are saying. My suggestion is to find a location where you can be alone with these birds and gain their trust over a few years. It's fun just working on that alone.

Congrats on the 40D!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:24 PM   #10

Super fantastic photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote