Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:41 AM   #1

My 30d is still not back, so my buddy lent me his, and we went out shooting. He has a 5d that he uses. I was also using his 100-400L....cheers...Don

First shot is a chickadee..no processing other than a very slight exposure boost before converting from RAW, and then resized. No sharpening
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:42 AM   #2

2......I ran NR on the background of this finch, and then sharpened the bird a wee bit.
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:44 AM   #3

3...Spotted Towhee rumaging around on a rotten log. This one was shot with a 300mm f/2.8L lens with a 1.4extender. My buddy rented this over the holidays, and I gave it a try. Man, this is a beast to hand hold. Lot a glass to wield around. Don't think it's my cup of tea. I don't like hauling around too much weight..my bones ache enough already.

I must add that the IS on this lens is amazing. I was using it handheld, and it rarely wavered off of the subject I was trying to photo. It seems more effective than the IS on my 300 f/4.

Some processing here. Had to sharpen and then run a bit of NR on it. Lousy light yesterday...D.
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2007, 2:09 PM   #4

You done did gooood. I agree my Canon lens with is really seems to do the job.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:54 PM   #5

Nice job on these. The chickadee is superb. Cheers, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:36 PM   #6

good stuff, Don... you certainly have the towhees nailed. i seldom see them around here, and if i do, they're back in the brush with so much interference i could never get a shot! :sad: i think i've managed exactly one decent shot of a towhee in the past 12 months...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:05 PM   #7

don,

you have a good friend to let you borrow his camera and lens. it's always fun to try new gear. the 300mm f2.8 is quite a chunk of glass. all the shooters i've seen use it either have a tripod, monopod or bushhawk. well at least you got to try it out for free before you put down any money on it. i hope you get your own camera back quick though. nice work on the finch. happy new years dude!

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:08 PM   #8

Thanks Roger, Dan Rocky. Much appreciated. The light as usual this time of year, was very dull, and makes for some challenging shutter speeds.

Rocky, the Towhees around here aren't too skittish this time of year. In the spring, they're a little standoffish, but this time of year, they seem to be more at ease with the humans milling about. They do like the ground though, and you can often hear them, but not see them, as they rummage in the undergrowth.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:12 PM   #9

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
don,

you have a good friend to let you borrow his camera and lens. it's always fun to try new gear. the 300mm f2.8 is quite a chunk of glass. all the shooters i've seen use it either have a tripod, monopod or bushhawk. well at least you got to try it out for free before you put down any money on it. i hope you get your own camera back quick though. nice work on the finch. happy new years dude!

- hung
Thanks Hung, and Happy New Year to you too! Yeah, the 300 is a bit of a beast to haul around 2 or 3 hours and using handheld. If I was 20 years younger, I'd probably not notice, but that isn't the case. I think I'll stick to my f/4 300. My buddy wanted me to try out his 100-400 as he just purchased it, and he is probably going to buy a 300 sometime soon. It's quite a nice lens(the 100-400), but I found a little bit slow at AF speed compared to my 300 prime. Also a stop slower. Still a very good lens though. Nice to have a zoom range....cheers...Don
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:10 AM   #10
KEM

Great shots Don! I've been trying to get a Towhee around here but they seem to stayunder cover most of the time.

_kent
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote