Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:11 PM   #1

Hi all, below are 8 photos taken over the past few days of the White Breasted Nuthatch with the Mark III and 100-400 at F/5.6. I appreciate you taking the time to look, thanks.

My goal was simply to get some reasonable exposures of this bird in particular under various lighting conditions. The sun would peek out once in a blue moon which afforded me some degree of variety.

Cheers!

One

Two

Three (tail was slightly cut off on this one so I decided to turn it into a closeup)

Four

Five

Six (chickadee in background)

Seven (I liked this somewhat different attitude)

Eight

Have a great January
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:11 PM   #2

excellent close up shots as usual. any suggestions on how to get such great close up shots of these tiny little birds? do you frequent the same spot over and over again and then they get use to your presence? do you leave food out for them? tips and techniques would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:37 PM   #3

Quite a masterful demonstration of what that lens is capable of doing wide open. Superb shots, Norm.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:25 AM   #4

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
excellent close up shots as usual. any suggestions on how to get such great close up shots of these tiny little birds? do you frequent the same spot over and over again and then they get use to your presence? do you leave food out for them? tips and techniques would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

- hung
Hi Hung, I've frequented this location for about 4 years now so I'm dealing with the offspring of the offspring, which makes it a bit easier to get closer. The Nuthatch took longer to become relatively accepting of my close proximity, the Downy and Chickadee being the easiest to get close to, of course. Only in the past year has the Magpie begun to seem more accepting and the more that seem to become accepting the more "other" birds seem to take a change or two, such as the Blue Jay, which is a very skittish bird. One reason that I don't use flash is that I want to reduce stress as much as possible. When I arrive I simply place natural nuts and seeds on a cloth foldup chair and take everything when I leave. In this way it isn't a matter of them relying on me in any way. I usually spend between 1 to 2 hours during my visits and this year I am using my vehicle as a blind. This seems to work for the Jays when and if they pay a visit. I wander around looking for what I consider to be potential backgrounds and park, set out the "treat" chair (always natural, no salt, and bona fide bird feed) and wait. Rarely nothing arrives, but sometimes I only see chickadees. Other days I get special visitors such as the Jay and Red Poll. Hope that helps.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:28 AM   #5

bmullen@comcast wrote:
Quote:
Quite a masterful demonstration of what that lens is capable of doing wide open. Superb shots, Norm.
Thanks, Bob, I was using the 300/4 IS prime of late and the difference between sharpness between the two swayed me back to the 100-400. I'll use the 300 when the light gets extremely low or I want some "real" close shots, since it's minimum focus is exceptional at 1.5 meters. Both lenses produce for me but I prefer the ability to change focal length with the zoom, which comes in very handy from time to time.

Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:12 AM   #6

A top notch photo's as usual...I really like the detail in the close-up (#3) or the typical stance of #5. But I'm not choosing one favorite...I like them all. I wish we had WBN down here...

And everytime I change my mind on my next lens someone shows it's capabilities and brings me back to it...ahhh...decisions, decisions.

Duane
3RDI Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:41 AM   #7

Beautiful Norm. Looks like you were nice and close. Great detail!...cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:11 PM   #8

I really do like what the MIII is capable of (capable hands of course) in high ISO. Blows me away! And without doing a lot of PP. The combination of highISO capability and more pixels should really help in that low light you deal with in winter.

I took quite a few shots today in higher ISO than I am comfortable with in the 30D, due to lousy light this morning. Not looking all that promsing.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:30 PM   #9

Super series Norm, of one of my favourite birds. Way to go! Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:00 PM   #10

Thanks all, I checked my settings today before going out to shoot and realized that these photos were taken with my saturation reduced to the minimum level because the day before that I was shooting in extremely low light at high ISO speeds so I reduced saturation in order control chroma noise. Because of winter and the generally unsaturated appearance of these birds in normal circumstances I didn't even notice. However, I could probably have increased saturation in the nuthatches, at least to the "normal" middle setting level.