Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:20 PM   #1

I had been watching my back yard feeders this morning for signs of activity but nothing was happening so I went to the kitchen for acoffee. Well, in the couple of minutesit took to pour myself a cupmy feeders were swarmedby no less than 18-20 common redpolls. Talk about a target-rich environment :shock:. Problem was that because they were so many of them they didn't sitvery long on the feeder before being "encouraged" to leave by newcommers - which made shooting a bit of a struggle - especially in - 25 C temperature. And so after 151 shots and much triage in Photoshop here are the two photos which survived the "cut".

Attached Images

fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:20 PM   #2

# 2 Thanks for looking. Cheers, Dan
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2008, 7:45 PM   #3

Very nice work, Dan, and interesting that you posted these today as just about 2 hours ago I had a neighbor and his wife who are birders and frequent the campground I shoot at invited me to their home where apparently they have these beauties feeding from their feeders. I've always heard the birds in the campground but have never been able to get close because they remain high in the trees.

Finally I have some hope for a few good shots like yours. They are truly a beautiful bird, especially with a snowy backdrop.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:32 PM   #4

What a gorgeous bird Dan. Nicely done. I'm envious of your backyard and it's visitors. This is another bird I've never seen live before......cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:38 PM   #5

Awesome, Dan! I haven't seen one of these yet, either.

Bob
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:51 PM   #6

Beautiful birds Dan. Great poses around the feeder. We never get these litte guys this far south. Thanks for the peak.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:41 AM   #7

You're lucky to photograph such a beautiful bird Dan...I'm sitting here in envy. You can keep the cold air and snow up there though.
3RDI Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:21 AM   #8

Very nice, Dan! They are a pretty bird and one I probably will never see in my area either. It looks like they may be watching you.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:02 AM   #9

Thanks for ther feedback guys.After four years of winter at this location it wasa pleasant surprise to find them at my feeders for the very first time. I've included a link which describes their range - it's mostly a northern bird - so I guess I'm lucky to have encountered it. I'll keep trying to get moreshots of these guys as weather permits and opportunity presents.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Common_Redpoll_dtl.html

Bob, the map suggests that they may be found in PA in winter, so keep an eye out - you never know! :shock:.

Sabine, they were actually looking in the direction of my neighbour's yard at the moment when he let his dog out. Cheers, dan