Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:21 PM   #11

Wonderful find and great shots.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:17 PM   #12

Macnite, Kent, swgod98, Dan, Don, Rocky, Peter, Ellen, Mike, and Calicajun, thank you all for the comments. I appreciate them very much.

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:55 PM   #13

wk7leung wrote:
Quote:
Handheld? Wom ... terrific details and stabilisation [I mean by your tripod-hands]. Hung, your shots usually have a deep tone and are not much distrubed by noises. Take #4 as an example. Can you tell:

a. the difference between the raw image with this one as a result of retouching [do you mind posting the raw one for comparison?];

b. what facilities you have used there, eg changing the brightness, contrast, gamma value andsharpening to come to this beautiful shot?

c. the steps you take to retouch the shot to its existing aesthetic level?

Thanks Peter. Here are some of the original shots.

2)

4)

These are the original jpgs, only resized to 900. I do not shoot in RAW because the canon 20d buffer is too small. As far as the post processing, it actually took me much longer than usual. I was not happy with them for awhile and I had to go back to the originals a couple of times to try something different. My post processing is quite basic actually, nothing fancy. I use Photoshop CS2.

- i start out with a crop. now since i was already shooting at ISO 800, there was going to be some very noticeble noise. so i didn't crop as tight as i would have liked because the more you crop, the more the noise becomes apparent in the final pic.
- resize to 1800
- adjust levels to achieve desireable contrast. for these shots i tended to favor the darker tones because it helped to dampen the color noise of the background a bit.
- increase saturation by +6. like i have mentioned before. the more saturation you increase, the more the background color noise is also increased. so you really have to go easy on it.
- Sharpen
- resize to 900 ( my final pic size)
- smart sharpen (amount = 30-50% depending on the pic, radius 0.2, remove lens blur, and the more accurate box checked)

- that was the easy part. the most time consuming part was cloning!!!!!! it is such a basic tool, but for me it is so important i feel. i really do not like distracting elements in my shots. they can really ruin an otherwise great pic. in particular branches and leaves that intersect the outline of my subject i find annoying and distracting. i try as much as i can to clone them out so that it leaves a relatively clean outline of the subject. sometimes this is easy. sometimes it is a real pain. other times it is impossible. i use a combination of the clone tool and the healing brush tool for this job and it works well. you will notice that in pic #2 there is a large wall to the right of the bird. that was the bird cage. after i cropped and framed the shot, i needed more room to the right of the bird to balance out the pic better. this required alot of cloning as you can tell.

here is a recent shot i posted. nice little kestrel sitting up in the tree. notice all the little branches that cover the neck and the big leaf that intersected the tail. there's also a big cluster of leaves on the bottom left. i find all of these distracting elements quite annoying. it pulls my eye away from the subject and it also mars the otherwise clean outline of the subject. so i had to clone them all out. it's a pain, but the end result was much cleaner.

and here is the final shot. tadah!

- i then run the pic through neat image to reduce the background noise. you have to becareful with this part though. neat image does a fairly good job with removing background noise, but sometimes it will smooth things over TOO much. this leads to loss of subject detail and sharpness which i hate. so it is a balancing act. you need to reduce the background noise enough so that it is no longer that distracting but not too much where it lowers the image quality of the subject. to achieve this you have to play around with. i think for alot of these shots i had set the noise reduction levels to about 50%. there is no hard fast rule. i just play with the level of noise reduction to where i am happy. you can still see some noise in the background of the final shots but it looks more like grain and i find that it is not distracting to my eyes. i could have definitely pushed the noise reduction much higher to achiever a smoother background, but then the subject looked terrible because it was overly smooth.

that's about it. like i said, nothing fancy but if you keep certain things in mind and do some basic post processing techniques well, you can really get more out of original images.

hope this helps.

- hung
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:58 AM   #14

Dear Royce,

Really have to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the miles you have gone to furnish me with all the details. It takes me some time to digest your expertise and before I do that, I have to write this to acknowledge my receipt of your reply and to let you know that the stuff you have put across will definitely help me to be a little bit better in giving my shots a better treatment.

Sincerely,

Peter Leung
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:10 PM   #15

Beautiful little bird, Hung! Nice work on getting the final image.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 2:06 PM   #16

Sabine wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful little bird, Hung! Nice work on getting the final image.

Thanks for stopping by VP. I appreciate the comment.

- Hung
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:50 PM   #17

Great job, super "pop" factor on that last photo.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote