Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:57 AM   #1

Change Plans for Bald Eagle

The tree to the right of the snag the eagle is in is one of my favorite spots to glass this ridge from the top for Deer. When I got to where I park the camera wagon I saw the eagle. Should I be mad at the eagle or change my plans and take a few photos of him??? Not a hard decision for me.

With a close up.

I got the feeling from his look he was ready for me to leave.

I figured I would try to get him to move his head a little for a different look. The crow call didn't work so I tried a calf call and it semi got his attention. After these 3 I thanked him and left.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:50 PM   #2

All are great Roger. If I was forced at gun point to choose a favorite it would go to #4.
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:02 PM   #3

Obviously the eagle thought it a great viewpoint too. Which of you had the idea first? I once had a graduate student who was studying breeding of some introduced weaverbird. After finding a number of nests cleaned out after his previous visit, he realized that crows had been following him around and after he left a nest, they would move in and empty it of its contnents. After making sure there were no crows around before he approached a nest, he didn't lose any more broods. This eagle probably knew a good perch when he saw one, but it is something to think about, anyway.

Nice shots BTW, and good of you to leave it undisturbed - prople don't realize how much energy it costs a bird to replace the heat lost by being forced to fly unnecessarily in cold weather.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:25 PM   #4

I'm really envious of these Eagle photos you are getting, Roger. Real beauties!
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:36 PM   #5

Trigger wrote:
Quote:
All are great Roger. If I was forced at gun point to choose a favorite it would go to #4.
Trigger, thank you for the nice comment.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:36 PM   #6

Beautiful Roger! No blown whites on these. You're a fast learner...well done!!...cheers..Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:57 AM   #7

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Obviously the eagle thought it a great viewpoint too. Which of you had the idea first? I once had a graduate student who was studying breeding of some introduced weaverbird. After finding a number of nests cleaned out after his previous visit, he realized that crows had been following him around and after he left a nest, they would move in and empty it of its contnents. After making sure there were no crows around before he approached a nest, he didn't lose any more broods. This eagle probably knew a good perch when he saw one, but it is something to think about, anyway.

Nice shots BTW, and good of you to leave it undisturbed - prople don't realize how much energy it costs a bird to replace the heat lost by being forced to fly unnecessarily in cold weather.
He wasn't there when I looked at the ridge the first time but was there when I got there, so that makes him first. I have found when you are in new country eagles and hawks are a good way to find good glassing spots.

Right now in our area lots of snow and cold weather so I think it is important to give it that little extra effort not to bother them. Deer and elk are in what I call conserve mode and need all their energy to work at getting food not running away from a camera.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:11 AM   #8

Roger,

I really enjoyed your eagle photos! I live in Texas and am fortunate enough to have an eagle land out back here on the lake behind my house. How do I get sharper photos? I use a Canon EOS 40D with a 70-200mm F 2.8 and a 1.4x. Any help you can offer would be great!

Jerry
TXPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:11 AM   #9

#4 for the close up and #3 for the composition (always nice to have dead branches in a shot as long as they don;t intrude). Well done Roger! Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:51 PM   #10

Sabine wrote:
Quote:
I'm really envious of these Eagle photos you are getting, Roger. Real beauties!
Come on out to Chama and we can see about trying to get some more.

Wacky roger