Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:37 PM   #11

Great shots Don. Interesting to see them in deciduous trees - I've only seen them in the coniferous.

Cheers

Jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:01 AM   #12

Very nice shots Don, I see the Canon is really working out for you.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:11 AM   #13

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
What a strange setup, Don:?I remember a post of yours some time back, and I think it was Penolta or VP [sabine] who explained that the bill was created like that to open pine seeds ?? Amazing !! Nice clear shots [except for the branch worth cloning:G:G:G]
Hi Jake, and thanks very much. You're so right - I should clone out that branch. Yes these little guys do have a strange bill for just that purpose from what I understand.....they sure have beautiful colouring..Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:14 AM   #14

penolta wrote:
Quote:
JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
the bill was created like that to open pine seeds ?? Amazing !!
Yes - to pry apart the "scales" of apine cones to get at the seeds.Great photos anda fortuitous pair of imagesas well - notice that the upper bill crosses to the right in the female (yellow) and to the left in the male (red). It is only coincidental that there is one of each with each sex here, as there is no such sexual linkage inthis feature- it is sort of like right and left handedness in people of either sex.
Good eye Penolta. I never noticed that the cross is opposite from these 2...cheers..Don
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:22 AM   #15

great shots, Don... that first one is Audubon quality for sure!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:23 AM   #16

sadies mom wrote:
Quote:
what part of bc are you from...........i can see them sticking around the coast but not the upper part of bc or the interior.........

oh ya ............nice pics..............what did you use to get those shots........:roll:
I'm from North Vancouver sadies mom. These were shot at the Maplewood Wildlife Sanctuary. A lot of people go to this place and wonder where are the birds. You have to be patient, and very aware of what is going on around you. There is a very wide variety and abundant amount of wildlife here, but it is a very subtle place where they aren't in your face so to speak. You have to listen, watch and be very much on aware of any changes of not only noise, but reactions and behaviour of birds that you might be viewing. It is a very "wild" place where everything from chickadees to cougars have been seen here. Quite a treat to have a place more or less in the middle of a city.....cheers.........Don
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:24 AM   #17

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
great shots, Don... that first one is Audubon quality for sure!
Thanks Rocky. It has been nice to have some decent light lately, no? I know I've been out clicking like crazy this last week. Back to clouds, snow and dreary weather it looks like again.....D.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:29 AM   #18

Thanks Mike, Steve, Bob, Jeff , Jim and Tom. Your comments are as always very much appreciated. I really enjoy this community of shooters we have here in the wildlife forum, and look forward to seeing posts from everyone, and also, hearing from everyone involved at Steve's......cheers...Don
Old Jan 27, 2008, 5:11 PM   #19

Great photos
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:42 AM   #20

ingenious little bird. i wonder if there are any other types of birds that have this crossbill feature. excellent captures don. glad you had some good light to shoot in! hope to see more!

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote