Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:09 PM   #11

hey that is nice pp work tom! what did you do exactly?

- hung

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Hey Roger, how about a little PP in CS2 to bring out the shadows? By the way nice shots!

Tom
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:28 PM   #12

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
As a people photog I always prefer 3 light sources on dark skinned subjects.

This includes natural and room lighting and my flash in various mixtures.

It would be interesting to see what an off camera flash would do to the chest feathers dropping their shadows away from the camera a bit.

I like your shots as posted but black is always a challenge.

Nicholas
Well so far I have never had one stay in one place long enough to try some thing like that. I agree it would be interesting.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:29 PM   #13

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Hey Roger, how about a little PP in CS2 to bring out the shadows? By the way nice shots!

Tom
WOW!!!! How about a little more information on how you did that.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:28 PM   #14

Hey Roger, your original photos are pretty darn good to start with. I was also playing around with one of your images in CS3. I went under the image menu and went into the Adjustments menu and selected the Shadwo/highlights tool. I set the shadows amount to 25%. That's it. I saved it and here's the post.
I personally don't think your images need any correcting. The Crow/Raven is, after all, a jet black bird and you did it justice with your exposures.

Oh yeah, since you asked for suggestions mine is for you to give me your awesome setup. . Oh wait, never mind. It won't work on my Nikon. :?

All the best,
Steve

Last edited by smac; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:57 PM   #15

smac wrote:
Quote:
Hey Roger, your original photos are pretty darn good to start with. I was also playing around with one of your images in CS3. I went under the image menu and went into the Adjustments menu and selected the Shadwo/highlights tool. I set the shadows amount to 25%. That's it. I saved it and here's the post.
I personally don't think your images need any correcting. The Crow/Raven is, after all, a jet black bird and you did it justice with your exposures.

Oh yeah, since you asked for suggestions mine is for you to give me your awesome setup. . Oh wait, never mind. It won't work on my Nikon. :?

All the best,
Steve

Thanks Steve I got to figure out this shadow/highlight thing in Corel since that is what I use.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:16 PM   #16

Hung, Roger, same as Steve did with Shadow/Highlights only I used 50% which may have been a bit lighter than I like and if I did it again I would use 35% to keep it a bit more contrasty.

You are doing a great job of exposing for the highlights in the black, then it is easy to pull detail out of the black shadows in PP.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:34 PM   #17

Like everyone else, I would be happy to get photos like yours. This is my attempt with the raven in PS_^6

Guess, I still have a lot to learn. What you got from the camera looks good to me. :G
Attached Images

bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:22 AM   #18

Not that the originals needed it, here is my try at getting the texture to show:

Nicholas
Attached Images

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:18 PM   #19

Thanks everybody for the help. Now I got to find the shadow highlighter in Corel so I can practice.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:26 PM   #20

Might you try a polarizer? I was thinking, if you're trying to get more exposure in the shadows, you could dial in some positive exposure compensation, but then the reflections mgiht blow out and the sky would be weak. A polarizer should help with both problems.

I personally rather like the first shot. Do you see all that shadow detail exposed to you when you look at the bird with your naked eye?

That Active D-Lighting of the new Nikons would really come in handy here. Perhaps you could try burst mode bracketing, one at meter and the next 1-3 thirds up, combining them as a HDR?
David French is offline   Reply With Quote