Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:47 AM   #1

I came upon this coyote and, though nervous, kept shooting. I had no time to figure out the settings on my new camera. I did not see the cat until i put the images on the computer. What a surprise. It looks sas if the coyote is afraid of the cat.
Caryl
Attached Images

carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:29 AM   #2

Interesting shot showing animal interaction!

I watched a Coyote out back the other day stalk a wild turkey in a open field about 50 yards away. When the Coyote got about 40 yards from the Turkey, the Turkey turned and looked at the Coyote, then charged it running as fast as it could. The Coyote then stood up for a second, and turned and ran away, which I thought was strange behavior for an animal that was originally looking for lunch.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:13 AM   #3

Tom, did you get any shots of it? I think the coyote was afraid of the cat. I was afraid of the coyote so i kept my distance. Sorry I did not have my long lens. This was the first time i have ever encluntered a wild coyote. It was daytime and I thought they came out at night. he was very scroungy. This was at the ocean which was also unusual.
Thanks for commenting.
Caryl
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:31 AM   #4

That Coyote doesn't look well, compared to the Coyotes I have seen . They usually have healthy, looking coats of fur and aren't as thin. I'd keep away from him as you did.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:19 PM   #5

I also thought he looked sick. He was at the beach during the day. That seemed a bit unusual. FYI I would stay away even if he were healthy! LOL I took most of y shots from the car when he looked my way.
Here is another shot.
Caryl
Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:59 PM   #6

Hi Caryl,
I really like the first shot.* Very different.* I agree that in that first shot the coyote looks pretty haggard.* I think that is partly because of the angle of the shot.* In any case he looks like he has seen better days.*
Dang! That cat knows how to stand it's ground. :lol: Doesn't seem the least bit intimidated by that scroungy Coyote.

Don't you just love your D300.* I've had mine since early December and think it is phenomenal.* Keep shooten' and post 'em when you get 'em. :lol:

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:14 PM   #7

Definately something wrong with that Coyote. I have seen several hundred throughout the southwestern united states and mexico over the years and all would have made a quick meal of that cat.
Also, most healthy Coyotes would make a quick exit if they were aware of your presence.

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:15 PM   #8

Yes, I do love my D300. And yes, I think the coyote was sick so I stayed in the car and shot from the window. He was acting strange. Thank you for your comments.
Caryl