Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:34 AM   #1

Trophy Bulls ( WFR-Elk )

Elk antlers are scored by measuring the antlers. All of the scoring systems basically sum the total inches of antler by measuring the main beam on each side and then adding the length of each tine. Then they add the circumference of the beam at 4 strategic points and the width of the inside spread (distance between the 2 antlers at the widest point).

I am guessing these Bulls will score in the area of 325 points. Remember I didn't have a tape measure with me and I doubt the Bulls would of let me go up to them and measure their antlers. Lots of times it is very difficult to get their score correct cuz of their body size. A Bull with a very large body could have great scoring antlers but because of his body size his antlers won't look to be that large. What you need to do is look at his main beam and his #4 tine to get a better idea.

Any way these are some pretty nice Wild Free Ranging Bulls.

Probably the biggest body of any Bull in this series, Very heavy mass and extra long #4 tines.

This guy has a small point on his right brow tine so he is a 6x7 bull

This guy is not as large as the others and probably only scores in the 280 range but I enjoyed him bugling so he gets to be included in my trophy bulls from this trip.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:35 PM   #2

Roger

Congratulations!!..Very nice shots..

From 5 years living in Washington State & 2 years in Alaska I know how difficult it is to consistently stalk yourself into range in order to be able to capture images such as these..

I gather from your past posts that you have spent the majority of your life in the out-of-doors, hunting, fishing, etc..

I'm curious as to the average amount of time that is needed in order for you to get yourself into camera range??..I realize that you know your surroundings like the back of your hand, to use a phrase..Intimate knowledge of the area that you are searching for wildlife cannot be beat..

Can I asume that the 1.4x converter is more or less permanently attached to the 500mm lens??..So as to give you the maximum reach possible??..

My goal is to be able to save up so as to be able to purchase a similar set-up within the next 2 years..Nothing trumps a fast high magnification lens with a 1.4x rear converter for wildlife..

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 8:03 PM   #3

baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
Roger

Congratulations!!..Very nice shots..

From 5 years living in Washington State & 2 years in Alaska I know how difficult it is to consistently stalk yourself into range in order to be able to capture images such as these..

I gather from your past posts that you have spent the majority of your life in the out-of-doors, hunting, fishing, etc..

I'm curious as to the average amount of time that is needed in order for you to get yourself into camera range??..I realize that you know your surroundings like the back of your hand, to use a phrase..Intimate knowledge of the area that you are searching for wildlife cannot be beat..

Can I asume that the 1.4x converter is more or less permanently attached to the 500mm lens??..So as to give you the maximum reach possible??..

My goal is to be able to save up so as to be able to purchase a similar set-up within the next 2 years..Nothing trumps a fast high magnification lens with a 1.4x rear converter for wildlife..

Bruce
Hi Bruce, thanks for the nice comment.

"From 5 years living in Washington State & 2 years in Alaska I know how difficult it is to consistently stalk yourself into range in order to be able to capture images such as these.." It does take time and effort and a lot of patience"

" I gather from your past posts that you have spent the majority of your life in the out-of-doors, hunting, fishing, etc.." My daddy was a outfitter and I am 65 years old and yes I have spent a lot of time in the woods this year I probably will be out in the woods 300+ days."

"I'm curious as to the average amount of time that is needed in order for you to get yourself into camera range??..I realize that you know your surroundings like the back of your hand, to use a phrase..Intimate knowledge of the area that you are searching for wildlife cannot be beat.." WOW!!! not that is a tuff question. Most of the time I find them with my binoculars or spotting scope and then I make a plan on how to get in closer, lots of times it means that the next day I set up and wait for them. Where I find them and the time of day makes the decission for me on what to do next. If I find them coming out in the early afternoon it may only be 1/2 hour or so until I stalk in for a close up.

"Can I asume that the 1.4x converter is more or less permanently attached to the 500mm lens??..So as to give you the maximum reach possible??.." YES, the day my camera and lenses arrived I atached the 1.4 converter to my 500mm lens and attached them to my BushHawk and they have never been apart.

"My goal is to be able to save up so as to be able to purchase a similar set-up within the next 2 years..Nothing trumps a fast high magnification lens with a 1.4x rear converter for wildlife.." When you do get your set up I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

"I realize that you know your surroundings like the back of your hand, to use a phrase..Intimate knowledge of the area that you are searching for wildlife cannot be beat.." I agree with you 100% but then there are exceptions to this and this hunt is one of the exceptions. Here is a link to my getting ready for this hunt, as you will see it is a matter of doing your homework when you are going to new country. It explains using topo maps, the weather, the internet & being patience enought to wait on them.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=587232&forum_id=11

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote