Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 16, 2008, 12:20 AM   #21

Buzzsaw wrote:
Quote:
Another thing that is very important is post processing abilities and understanding what your limitations are with jpeg and that the sky is "almost" the limit in post processing with RAW. The latitude RAW gives you vs jpeg is incredible! I don't wanna be a preacher, but once a person see's the difference and the flexibility in Post processing... they'll never go back to shooting in jpeg. :-)
I am using a 750-mb RAM computer and I am using the Nikon cameras for shooting, respectively, D200, C8400 and P5100 where the former two are with the raw shooting function. The problem is it takes me a long time to process raw images and save them up after processing. The saving up time is especially unreasonably long; and because of that, thus far, I have never been successful witha single saving.

I think I would love the idea of shooting in raw and Idefinitely will resolve this saving-upproblem in future. But, readingwhatyou wrote here, would like to give the above feedback as my view abouttreating raw files. By the way, is it really because of the RAM size ofmy computer that has made the saving up so slow?Or is my situation common among others who are also doing raw image treatment?
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 12:32 AM   #22

Further to the previous posting, I phoned Nikon HK and was given to understand that at least one G-RAMis required to processing and saving raw images. Mine therefore is a bit insufficient for dealing with raw images.
Old May 16, 2008, 8:48 AM   #23
KEM

Peter, You've sunk a considerable amount of money into your Photographic equipment.A computer "is" the newDarkroom and should be up to handling the capabilities of your advanced digital equipment... Invest in a new duo or quad core systemand your processing time, let alone sanity,will improve immensely.. :?

-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 9:28 AM   #24

Quote:
By the way, is it really because of the RAM size ofmy computer that has made the saving up so slow?Or is my situation common among others who are also doing raw image treatment?
It is most certainly the RAM or lack of RAM in your system. I had slowness issues on my last computer and that had 1.5 GB RAM...

I had a system made for me (PC w/Vista) with 4 GB RAM, 1 TB of storage - quad core - and many other specs I can't recall right now. I can open up my CS3 program, the Bridge which currently has over 8,000 RAW unworked on or yet purged files (very large files) and that program opens up all of the images and displays a large thumbnail in just a few seconds!! I used to have to wait like ten minutes to open half this amount of files.... that was killing me.

I always hear people talking about how RAW really slows them down, and I agree that if your system is not juiced up... it will make it impossibly painful to use.

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 10:55 AM   #25

KEM wrote:
Quote:

Peter, You've sunk a considerable amount of money into your Photographic equipment.A computer "is" the newDarkroom and should be up to handling the capabilities of your advanced digital equipment... Invest in a new duo or quad core systemand your processing time, let alone sanity,will improve immensely.. :?

-Kent

Can't agree more. Thanks.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:01 AM   #26

Buzzsaw wrote:
Quote:
It is most certainly the RAM or lack of RAM in your system. I had slowness issues on my last computer and that had 1.5 GB RAM...

I had a system made for me (PC w/Vista) with 4 GB RAM, 1 TB of storage - quad core - and many other specs I can't recall right now. I can open up my CS3 program, the Bridge which currently has over 8,000 RAW unworked on or yet purged files (very large files) and that program opens up all of the images and displays a large thumbnail in just a few seconds!! I used to have to wait like ten minutes to open half this amount of files.... that was killing me.
I heard that the 1TB quad core has backup for images. To play with raw images, your setup is a dream set. Time is ripe for an update of the computer set I have been using for years.