Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 21, 2008, 1:01 AM   #1

I took the family to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach today. All of these shots were taken with my Canon 20D, Canon 50mm f1.8 II, handheld. Help with proper ID appreciated if I made any mistakes.

1) Copperbanded Butterfly fish

2) Jellyfish

3) More jellyfish

4) Another one.

5) Ok last one.

6) Silver Mono.

7) Blue and gold snapper.

8 ) Sea Dragon.

9) Purple Sea Urchins.

10 ) Tiny pink and red sea anemones.

11) Nurse shark close up.

12) Lion Fish.

13) Golden Trevally.

14) Nemo and Dori.

15) Purple Anthias

Thanks for looking and commenting.

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2008, 11:36 AM   #2

Nice ones, Hung. The jelly fish are well exposed.

"Nemo" is a Clown Fish (you probably know that). These can hide among the tentacles of sea anemones without geting stung.

The Lion Fish is one of the most venomous fishes in the ocean - you don't want to get stuck by one of those spines!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 12:23 PM   #3

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Nice ones, Hung. The jelly fish are well exposed.

"Nemo" is a Clown Fish (you probably know that). These can hide among the tentacles of sea anemones without geting stung.

The Lion Fish is one of the most venomous fishes in the ocean - you don't want to get stuck by one of those spines!
Thanks Penolta. Those jellies were fun to photograph. The aquarium display had them well lit so it made getting the exposure in the dark room much easier. I still had to push the ISO to 800 though and clean up the noise in post processing.

This Nemo is actually a Percula Clown fish. I actually have a pair of them in my 40 gallon salt water reef tank at home. The pic I use for my icon image is one of them.
They are quite territorial. Whenever I put my hand in the tank to clean it, they will come and bite me and try to scare me off. Fiesty little guy with no sense of humor at all, despite their "clown" names. LOL.

Dori is a Regal Tang. They can grow quite large, much too large for my 40 gallon tank, so I don't have one.

- Hung
Old May 21, 2008, 7:09 PM   #4

The variety and uniqueness of the creatures in the sea is amazing. That must be a really super place to visit and I could wander around in there for hours.

Nice job on the photos, Hung and thanks for sharing.

VP
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 4:21 PM   #5

Stunning, absolutely stunning! I remember going there on a school field trip about 30 years no 40… oh never mind…
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 11:17 PM   #6

Thanks VP and Goldwinger. I was like a kid in a candy store. So many cool things to photograph. The challenge was shooting through thick plexiglass that was often scratched or had alot of finger prints and smudge marks from all the little kiddies and still ending up with a clean shot of the animal. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the shots.

- Hung
Old May 23, 2008, 12:31 AM   #7

What a wholesome presentation here. I have to say that your 20D well lives its life in your hand.
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 9:54 PM   #8

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks VP and Goldwinger. I was like a kid in a candy store. So many cool things to photograph. The challenge was shooting through thick plexiglass that was often scratched or had alot of finger prints and smudge marks from all the little kiddies and still ending up with a clean shot of the animal. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the shots.

- Hung
Yep; You did a great job. Greatcolor andsharp shots even dealing with all the kids. It appears that you weregetting some good shutter speeds with f/2 ISO 800. It's pretty dark in there.

I was lucky enough to get there about 2 hoursbefore all the school buses unloaded.

Next time I'm bringing a cloth to wipe fingerprints.

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy aquarium photo's.

Mike
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 7:59 PM   #9

Fantastic series, very beautiful.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 12:28 AM   #10

Absolutely gorgeous! My last visit to an aquarium was a few years ago with an Olympus C-700UZ. I got some nice shots, but nothing even close to yours. I look forward to trying again now that I have more experience and better equipment.

I was amazed that the colors were so good with auto color balance. Did you do any color correction in CS2? That's what Opanda IExif shows you used.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote