Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:28 PM   #11

Those are great Don, even better than Sea Otters.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:12 PM   #12

Great stuff, Kman and it appears that it was not the easiest lighting with the bright background and dark subjects.

Glenn

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:28 PM   #13

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
These are fantastic captures of the otter and in real time behaviorally! I've never seen the otter doing such things in posted photos, and what a rush it must be to be there pushing down that shutter on such cool stuff! I am so jealous that it drips! Keep the otter shots comin!
what he said!! :!:
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 2:31 PM   #14

Thanks rhermans, Dal, Tom, Glen and Rocky. Your comments are very appreciated!....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 5:18 PM   #15

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

thekman620 wrote:

Quote:
I got lucky today and came across a Mama Otter and her youngster chowing down on a flounder. I hung around for about 1/2 hour while the 2 of them made a meal of the unfortunate fish.

Mom must have just crawled up onto this log with her catch. Junior is crawling around on her back.

Time to start chowing down..

junior decides to check me out..

Mom appears to be enjoying her meal..getting right into it. I could hear the crunching as she chewed away...

Now she sees me checking me out.....

..better check out the competition too....never know when something dangerous might pop up

now junior wants a little bit to eat...

mom appears to be getting perturbed with junior..

now she's downright upset. I thought this a little unusual, as it was her offspring.

but junior persists, and ends up with the remains, but mom is still upset and issues some discipline. Junior let out a pretty good yelp when ma took a bite of its neck.

finally, mom lets up and gives in to the kid. All too common I guess even in the wild kingdom. Very shortly after, they both swam off leaving a bit of remains behind.

No more than maybe 20 seconds, a gull moves in picking up the leftovers..

a few seconds later, it takes off. One more fish devoured into the food chain...

Great series, Don. Telling a true story as far as i know the species and the behaviour. Once studied ethology* by reading Konrad Lorenz/Nico Tinbergen (Nobel price winners)

As you say between the lines there are similarities in behaviour inter species. But we have to be careful not to draw too far fetching conclusions

The Disneyfication in wildlife photo is significant in Walt's homeland. Let's stay away from that

Sorry if I talk too much

You have a healthy distance to your object. You give priority to content

This is a great series. Thank you, Don

Torgny

*the study of animal behavior with emphasis on the behavioral patterns that occur in natural environments.

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:20 PM   #16

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Normcar wrote:
Quote:
These are fantastic captures of the otter and in real time behaviorally! I've never seen the otter doing such things in posted photos, and what a rush it must be to be there pushing down that shutter on such cool stuff! I am so jealous that it drips! Keep the otter shots comin!
what he said!! :!:
Hi Don - ditto on what he said as well. Most enjoyable. Cheers, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote