Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:57 PM   #1

I got lucky today and came across a Mama Otter and her youngster chowing down on a flounder. I hung around for about 1/2 hour while the 2 of them made a meal of the unfortunate fish.

Mom must have just crawled up onto this log with her catch. Junior is crawling around on her back.

Time to start chowing down..

junior decides to check me out..

Mom appears to be enjoying her meal..getting right into it. I could hear the crunching as she chewed away...

Now she sees me checking me out.....

..better check out the competition too....never know when something dangerous might pop up

now junior wants a little bit to eat...

mom appears to be getting perturbed with junior..

now she's downright upset. I thought this a little unusual, as it was her offspring.

but junior persists, and ends up with the remains, but mom is still upset and issues some discipline. Junior let out a pretty good yelp when ma took a bite of its neck.

finally, mom lets up and gives in to the kid. All too common I guess even in the wild kingdom. Very shortly after, they both swam off leaving a bit of remains behind.

No more than maybe 20 seconds, a gull moves in picking up the leftovers..

a few seconds later, it takes off. One more fish devoured into the food chain...

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2008, 12:52 PM   #2

Really nice series.

It is a bit of a disconnect to see a River Otter with a flounder. :O I've been buying field guides since I have joined these forums, and this is the first time I have had to resort to the one on Pacific Coast Fishes -- this flounder (a "Starry Flounder" - the only one with banded fins) is one that is often found in estuaries, where habitats overlap and marine and fresh water species mix, so I would guess that explains where these were taken.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:06 PM   #3

These are fantastic captures of the otter and in real time behaviorally! I've never seen the otter doing such things in posted photos, and what a rush it must be to be there pushing down that shutter on such cool stuff! I am so jealous that it drips! Keep the otter shots comin!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:24 AM   #4

I agree with Norm. Outstanding behavioral captures. I, too, am very green with envy over your found opportunity. Nice job.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:36 AM   #5

Superb!
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:00 AM   #6

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Really nice series.

It is a bit of a disconnect to see a River Otter with a flounder. :O I've been buying field guides since I have joined these forums, and this is the first time I have had to resort to the one on Pacific Coast Fishes -- this flounder (a "Starry Flounder" - the only one with banded fins) is one that is often found in estuaries, where habitats overlap and marine and fresh water species mix, so I would guess that explains where these were taken.
Thanks Penolta. We see this species of flounder a lot here. This area is Burrard Inlet, just east of Vancouver city proper. The Ospreys take a lot of these flounders too. There are quite a few estuaries and streams feeding the inlet, but not real major rivers. The Capilano River feeds into the Inlet, but is a river downstream from Cleveland Dam, which supplies Vancouver with a portion of its drinking water. I really don't know where the Otters spend most of their time habitating, but they are all around the wildlife area that I frequent. This area is surrounded on 3 sides by salt water, and is a so called mudflat....cheers...Don
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:03 AM   #7

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
These are fantastic captures of the otter and in real time behaviorally! I've never seen the otter doing such things in posted photos, and what a rush it must be to be there pushing down that shutter on such cool stuff! I am so jealous that it drips! Keep the otter shots comin!
Thanks very much Norm. It was a treat to see them displaying behaviors I haven't witnessed before. I wish I had more Otter shots to show, but they don't usually hang around showing themselves when humans show up. Lots at the aquarium though. :G....cheers...Don
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:04 AM   #8

smac wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Norm. Outstanding behavioral captures. I, too, am very green with envy over your found opportunity. Nice job.
Thanks Steve! After a few years of hanging about the wildlife area, it's nice to get rewarded once in a while...cheers...Don
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:40 PM   #9

great series, the only place I've seen an otter is the zoo.

thanks for posting this.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:46 PM   #10

What a superb story in pictures.

I have never seen one in the wild.

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote