Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 4, 2008, 6:22 PM   #1

I took the family down to The San Diego Zoo the day after labor day. Carrying a 400mm lens and pushing a double stroller with 2 kids up and down the hills at the zoo gets tiring pretty quick. I need to see if Gitzo has a camera mount for baby strollers. :G

1) Panda Bear

2)

3)

4) An immature flamingo begging a parent for regurgitated yumminess.

5)

6)

7)

8 )

9) 3 flamingos plotting their escape. "Ok fellahs listen up. At 6 o'clock, Fred is gonna slip the zoo keeper a mickey. That's when we are gonna bust outa here. Spread the word..."

10 ) Some sort of Lapwing.

11) Warthog. Hakuna Matata!

12) Kingfisher

13) Unknown bird. Reminds me of an European Starling judging by its spikey neck plummage. Those demonic eyes are wicked! That's they way they really look like in real life too. No extra post processing on those eyes.

14) The stare down. "Are you gonna drop some bread crumbs or am I going to have to physical with you? What's it gonna be buddy?!"

15) No idea on this one either.

16) In he afternoon, my wife and I was so tired of pushing the double stroller that we took the double decker bus tram around the park just to sit down for a bit. We pulled up next to the Rhino area and the lady sitting in front of me pulls out her cell phone camera to take a pic of the Rhino. I pulled out my 400mm lens and fired off a burst of continuous fire. You guys should have seen the look on her face. LOL.

17) The challenging part of shooting in a zoo setting with a long prime is that I could not zoom out to get more of the subject in the frame. Btw, some of these shots I also switched to my tamron 90mm f2.8 di lens.

18 )Giraffes

19)

20 ) Striped Hyena

21) Meerkats

22) Another problem with shooting at a zoo is trying to shoot through glass and wire fence enclosures. Very few of those shots came out usable. This was one of them. Not sure on the ID. Any ideas Penolta?

23) Another shot through a wire fence. At first I thought this guy was flipping me off! I later counted his fingers and it was the 4th one, so we are cool. LOL.

24) Too close for a full body shot. At least I got the head and the feet.

25) A sausage with feet.

26) Kookabura

27) Normally I do not like zoo shots where you can obviously see the cage. However the eyes on this Siberian Lynx were quite mesmerizing.

20 ) Rugrats.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

- Hung

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:08 PM   #2

another great series, hung. i particularly like the flamingos . . . and the rugrats. :-)

that kookaburra is very cool too. when you get to the kookaburra, the top of the pic looks like a small bird. i guess because the head is proportionately too big for the body.

i went to a wildlife sanctuary/hospital last weekend and i know what you mean about the wire cages. so many cool birds but the wire openings are definitely too small. i missed out on some great opportunities because the wire got in the way.

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:27 PM   #3

Quote:
22) Not sure on the ID. Any ideas Penolta?
:

More great shots, Hung. These (no. 22) are Egyptian Plovers (which are in a different family and are not true plovers). 13 & 14 are Glossy Starlings (not sure of 15 which may be another, a female or juvenile?). 25 (your "sausage") is an overfed Hyrax.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:10 PM   #4

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
another great series, hung. i particularly like the flamingos . . . and the rugrats. :-)

that kookaburra is very cool too. when you get to the kookaburra, the top of the pic looks like a small bird. i guess because the head is proportionately too big for the body.

i went to a wildlife sanctuary/hospital last weekend and i know what you mean about the wire cages. so many cool birds but the wire openings are definitely too small. i missed out on some great opportunities because the wire got in the way.

ellen fl
Ya it was pretty frustrating having a very cool looking bird to photograph but having to shoot through the wire fence. Luckily the zoo had an Aviary which is large enclosed area that you can walk through. The birds are allowed to fly freely in the aviary. That's where I got most of my bird shots.

- Hung
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:13 PM   #5

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
22) Not sure on the ID. Any ideas Penolta?
:

More great shots, Hung. These (no. 22) are Egyptian Plovers (which are in a different family and are not true plovers). 13 & 14 are Glossy Starlings (not sure of 15 which may be another, a female or juvenile?). 25 (your "sausage") is an overfed Hyrax.
Awesome thanks Penolta. I can always count on your wealth of knowledge.

- Hung
Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:07 PM   #6

Awesome series, very beautiful photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote