Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:35 PM   #1

These are some heavily-cropped shots of these birds. I was very happy to get at least these shots as they were the main birds I wanted to see in Aruba. You can see them, usually one or two at a time, from the beach or even further inland when they pass over, but these shots were taken from a crowded boat. Even so they were still quite a ways away. The 300mm lens came through but could have used a longer lens for sure.

Juvenile:

Female:

Casa B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:28 PM   #2

Picture # 3 is my favourite, but they're all good. I've never seen one before, quite an unusual bird with such an extremely long wingspan. I understand they're quite fast while flying, from what I've read.

You indicated you used a 300 mm lens. What type of camera and lens make did you use ?

Do you use the continuous focus , spot meter options, or if not, what methods do you use, when taking pictures of fast flying birds ?

I enjoy taking pictures of BIF, and I'm trying to improve my picture taking of these subjects.

Thank you for any info. / suggestions.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:33 PM   #3

What a great looking bird!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:28 AM   #4

Hi, and thanks for the comments.

I was using a Nikon D90 and the low continuous shutter release mode (so I have many very similar photos to these). I wanted to make sure I got some in focus. For metering, I was using center-weighted average which is like spot metering except the spot is a little larger. The first two were taken at f5.6 and the second two at f8.0. I was shooting other things before these guys appeared and in my excitement I didn't adjust the f-stop or I would have used maybe 9 or higher. But actually these came out ok. I never know which f-stop to use for sure for shots like these. I may have to go out a practice on a far away light pole or something so I am ready for the next opportunity.

The lens I used was the Nikon 70-300mm VR.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:28 AM   #5

Casa B wrote:
Quote:
Hi, and thanks for the comments.

I was using a Nikon D90 and the low continuous shutter release mode (so I have many very similar photos to these). I wanted to make sure I got some in focus. For metering, I was using center-weighted average which is like spot metering except the spot is a little larger. The first two were taken at f5.6 and the second two at f8.0. I was shooting other things before these guys appeared and in my excitement I didn't adjust the f-stop or I would have used maybe 9 or higher. But actually these came out ok. I never know which f-stop to use for sure for shots like these. I may have to go out a practice on a far away light pole or something so I am ready for the next opportunity.

The lens I used was the Nikon 70-300mm VR.
Casa,

Thanks for the info. We don't have Frigatebirds around where I live, but we do have American White Pelicans....I'll put your info to use, next time I'm photographing them.

Les
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:42 AM   #6

OK, I'd like to see how they come out. I have never seen the white pelicans.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 4:38 PM   #7

Casa B wrote:
Quote:
OK, I'd like to see how they come out. I have never seen the white pelicans.
I belong to a few websites, photography, cars, RV's and I've never been able to figure out how to transfer my photos to websites.

A number of people on the different websites have advised me how to do the transfers, but I haven't been successful.

I'm not all that computer literate, pretty well just am able to do the basic functions on the computer.

If I ever figure out the process, I will post pelican pictures pronto.:-)

Les