Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:47 PM   #1

Took these last w'end. These 4 shots are from a 4 second burst. Enough time for one of these little guys to take notice of me, have a look, and take off. Wish I'd gotten him vamousing, but not to be...cheers..Don

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:50 PM   #2

great series, Don... it's hard to catch these little pinballs sitting still! how do you manage to get so close? are these cropped much?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:02 PM   #3

Good catch, Don. Yhe only time I can get close to one of these is when I don't have a camera in hand.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:33 AM   #4

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
great series, Don... it's hard to catch these little pinballs sitting still! how do you manage to get so close? are these cropped much?
Thanks Squirl. How do I get close? Well, I was walking through the trails in the bush, saw some movement so I stopped, and the little guy luckily sat about 8' away for a few seconds checking me out. I listen a lot when out there, and if I hear some noise from the little guys, I'll stop and hope they might land close by for the chance of a shot or 2. Most times, I just end up watching them jumping from branch to branch obscured by leaves etc. My ratio of sightings to successful shots is probably about 1 in 50...cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:54 AM   #5

There are two methods birders regularly use to attract small birds out of the brush - it works particularly well in the Spring when they are defending their nesting territories from intruders, but they are curious at other times as well. One is to purse your lips over your knuckle and draw air in in short pulses through one corner of your mouth, which makes a squeaking noise that many of them find irresistible. The other is to make a s=h=h=h=ing sound, closing your lips intermittently, which imitates a scolding wren. One or the other of these will attract almost any of them (but rarely you can attract a hungry Cooper's Hawk which swoops in fast, so be prepared to ducK!). Often they will even return the calls, and you can track their approach by following the sounds; then you can be ready when they appear.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote