Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:20 PM   #1

Stalking A Mature Bald Eagle

The first afternoon I was on a ridge about a quarter mile from the lake and I noticed a mature bald eagle flying towards the lake. I watched to see what part of the lake he was headed to with my binoculars. Figured out what I wanted to do the next day and decided the morning would be best cuz we had our first winter storm coming in and I might have a chance in the morning before the rain and snow started.

As you can see from photo #2 this was going to be interesting, cuz for what light there was & the wind I needed to get closer to him from the right side on the photo to get the shot I wanted. There is no cover for probably 200 yards on this side. OK I put the bushhawk over my shoulder using its carrying strap and got my binoculars out. I changed from my hiking boots to my moccasins so I could feel the ground better. I have used this binocular stalking technique many times over the years on many different kinds of wildlife and have been pleasantly surprised at the number of times it works. I do admit many times while learning how to do it I ended up with a stubbed toe and that does not feel real good.

How to = Pick the path you want about 25 yards or less at a time and put the binoculars to your eyes and on the eagle. Only move when he is looking away from you, not when he is looking sideways, only when all you can see is the back of his head. Also pay attention to his shoulders (A different tell tell sign for Deer & Elk which I will explain the next time I try this with one of them). To move forward you have to feel with you feet since you are using your eyes to watch him. About every 25 yards of so look over or under the binoculars to pick your next 25 yard path. This stalk took something over 1 hour but I did get off numerous bursts and got some keepers. Once again the crow call worked well enough to get a lot of different looks.

This is the photo I was trying to get. I use this style photo to show my potential Camera Hunt clients, where we found it and then after we have stalked in closer.

One of the keepers

THE VISUAL = And Old Guy with a bazooka hanging off his shoulder, crow call hanging our of his mouth, looking thru binoculars instead of where he is going, feeling the ground with his feet.

Bottom Line = A good thing nobody saw me or I might be in a funny farm instead of at my office.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2008, 6:25 PM   #2

Great work Rodger!
I'm very envious of your skill as a photographer.
G:bye:W
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:40 PM   #3

The stubbed toe is worth it judging by the good shots you got. Many thanks for the interesting stalking technique. Peter
wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:09 PM   #4

a keeper indeed, Roger... very nicely done!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:27 AM   #5

Thanks GW for the nice words.

Wacky roger
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:27 AM   #6

Peter thanks for looking and for taking the time to comment.

Wacky roger
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:28 AM   #7

Hi to YA!!! Rocky, thanks for the nice comment.

Wacky roger