Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:58 PM   #11

love the mass take off shot and the mallards. exceptional!

i have to know how you got the grackle. do you adjust exposure to get the detail? i underexpose for solid whites. should i overexpose for blacks? i guess i could try it . . . or you could share. i have tried many times to get grackle and crow pics but i just get black blobs, mostly and post-processing just adds noise. thanks!

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:59 PM   #12

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
love the mass take off shot and the mallards. exceptional!

i have to know how you got the grackle. do you adjust exposure to get the detail? i underexpose for solid whites. should i overexpose for blacks? i guess i could try it . . . or you could share. i have tried many times to get grackle and crow pics but i just get black blobs, mostly and post-processing just adds noise. thanks!

ellen fl
thanks ellen. in general yes you probably should underexpose for darker birds but it also depends on the light that you have around you and how much of the entire frame that dark bird takes up.

i always shoot in partial metering mode. that gives me the closest to spot metering. i then check my histogram. if the shot is too dark then you would see your histogram pushed to far to the left side. i would then adjust my EV more positive if i needed to. for this particular shot however, i did not need to adjust my EV and left it at zero. i was very close to the grackle and i was able to fill the frame with the bird (actually in hindsight i was bit too close and ended up chopping off the tip of the tail). since the bird made up most of the frame, the metering was much easier.

it is important to get into the habit of shooting a few shots and then checking your histogram. i would have to say that this practice has helped improve my photography a great deal. it will give you all the info you need on how to get the best exposure. a pic that is taken with a bad exposure if difficult to fix in post processing. you are absolutely right about the increased noise when trying to fix a bad exposure. if you get it right when you first shoot it, then you will not have that same problem in post processing.

let me know if you have any further questions.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:25 PM   #13

yes, i do have a further question, thanks . . . i don't know how to use the histogram. should i get a tutorial or will you be able to give me the basics?

tia

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:26 PM   #14

ellenfl wrote:
Quote:
yes, i do have a further question, thanks . . . i don't know how to use the histogram. should i get a tutorial or will you be able to give me the basics?

tia

ellen fl
check out these articles on nature photography. they can explain things much better than i can. juza is my all time favorite nature photographer and he is also a great teacher. i think everyone should read his articles. they have helped improve my photography by leaps and bounds. if you look at his gallery, your jaw cannot but drop.

here is the article specifically on exposure.

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/article..._histogram.htm

here is his main page for all of his articles

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles.htm

that's your homework assignment for now.

- hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:43 PM   #15

Superb group of shots, Hung!

Bob M
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:00 AM   #16

Wonderful series, I especially liked the mass take-off and the godwits. The thing I liked most about the mass takeoff is the level of sharpness throughout the photo...hard to keep that many birds at that many depths sharp. Well done.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm envious of the wigeon shot. I spent several sessions shooting a flock of wigeons that passed through here and stayed a couple of weeks, and like Don, I had real trouble getting close enough to get high quality shots, especially since I didn't have the slightest semblance of cover. These are among the shyest birds I've tried to shoot.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for a very enjoyable series.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote