Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:32 PM   #1

Bad Scouting trip (Dumb Me)

Sometimes the best plans just don't work like you want them to work. Since our last bunch of storms came in from the North West I was looking for the South East part of a ridge that was close to heavy dark timber. There would be less snow there and a better place for elk to hang out. Since I hadn't been to the ridge I picked out, I waited until midday to go in and look for tracks, the elk should be bedded up in the dark timber. Once I got to the top of the ridge where I could look over I would see what the elk tracks were telling me they were doing. I should of been more careful cuz I know with all the storms the last couple of weeks the elk could be out trying to find food to eat to make up for all the time they spent hiding during the storms.

As I stepped out from behind a tree to look the ridge over I startled a Bull Elk with his head in the snow trying to find some food. I thru up my BushHawk and grabbed a few shots of him taking off at full steam towards the safety of the dark timber. This time of the year you really need to be extra careful not to cause wildlife to use up any extra energy they need all they can get to survive.

Turning to run

Now he is putting it in high gear

A lot of wasted energy being used cuz I was not careful enough

Lessons learned

Be better prepared, you never know when you will see wildlife. Before you leave to scout an area take a few minutes and think about what could happen that you don't want to happen and how to avoid that happening. Do the same thing before you start a stalk.

Replace my snowshoes I broke last year cuz they are much quieter, and with snowshoes going the long way around is not only safer but easier.

Remember this afternoon. I got some interesting keepers but a Bull Elk had to pay the price for me getting them.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:11 PM   #2

Beautiful shot and what a magnificent animal. I really appreciate your thoughts about what happened and how to avoid it.

"...take a few minutes and think about what could happen that you don't want to happen and how to avoid that happening."

In fact I know some people that should employ your tactics before they open their mouths. :lol:.

Happy hunting and have a great New Year.

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:18 PM   #3

smac wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful shot and what a magnificent animal. I really appreciate your thoughts about what happened and how to avoid it.

"...take a few minutes and think about what could happen that you don't want to happen and how to avoid that happening."

In fact I know some people that should employ your tactics before they open their mouths. :lol:.

Happy hunting and have a great New Year.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I will do a better job next time.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:19 PM   #4

Nice shots Roger, snowshoes are a great tool for getting to places you couldn't get to without them.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 12:21 PM   #5

Hey Rodger,
It's so refreshing to know that there are still people out there that care about mother nature and mans responsibility in regards to protecting it.

Nice shot of the Elk!
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote