Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:18 PM   #1

Hi all

I don't post photos in this section of the forum often. But I thought I'd share these photos with you, even though they are nothing spectacular, and actually I'm not very pleased with the quality.

Mostly I'm posting just because yesterday evening and this morning I enjoyed seeing a variety of birds in my front yard and back garden - they are enjoying the beautiful warm summer weather - as I do - and I wanted to share some photos of them with you.

In the back garden I have a number of trees and high shrubs along my 2.2 metre high fences (so effectively I have a very private garden, no one can see in). However the birds freely fly in and out.

I have a callistemon (Australian bottle brush) tree which New Holland Honeyeaters really enjoy feasting upon those bright red flowers. The next three photos show that.

1. New Holland Honeyeater - perched on top

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:20 PM   #2

2. New Holland Honeyeater - flying for a feed

It makes me realise how fast this bird's wings beat - a lot of motion blur at 1/400 of a second - though of course there are other birds which beat faster!

Attached Images

Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:21 PM   #3

3. New Holland Honeyeater - head down tail up

Reminds me of one of my high-school teachers from many years ago who used to always say: "Head down, tails up" when we (as a class) were not concentrating or doing our work hard enough. Well I guess this is where the saying comes from!!

Attached Images

Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:24 PM   #4

Then in my front yard I have a HUGE gum tree (ie. Australian eucalyptus). It must be at least 30metres high.

Often groups of parrots, such as the rainbow lorikeets, or galahs or others will perch (and feed) there - often noisily (thankfully my bedroom is at the back of my house... the birds that visit my back garden are not so anti-social... they are much quieter!) I was talking with my neighbour last night when these rainbow lorikeets were in my tree, and I decided to go inside and take some quick snaps of them.

The sun was very low, (it was after 20:00 - i.e. after 8pm) hence the golden glow of an almost setting sun. It's a bit annoying those leaves look like rabbit ears on the bird... but in other aspects I quite like this photo.

4. Rainbow Lorikeet - perched in the branches of the gum tree.
Attached Images

Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:28 PM   #5

and finally.... (for this series at least)..

5. Rainbow Lorikeet - head down tail up

It is amazing how flexible and manoeuvrable birds are - particularly when they are feeding - here this lorikeet is picking some gum nuts. I have also seen the honeyeaters pluck insects (e.g. flies, bees and I think even wasps) right out of the air as they are flying- but I have not quick enough (yet) with my camera to catch them.

If I get better photos, I'll post again.

Thanks for looking. Any comments always welcome!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:33 PM   #6

Hey PJ,
I enjoyed them, thanks for sharing!

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:01 AM   #7

Hi GW / Goldwing

Thanks for stopping by and looking. I'm glad you enjoyed viewing them!

Have a good weekend.

Paul
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:51 PM   #8

your in a tropical climate.you in your summer now and you have beautiful parots flying wild.o man it dont get any better than that.you could desaturate the uco leaves or throw a guesien filter(blur) like the tree in the background is.

the next coolest thing is the fact that i can see your pics from a cool place down under as i sit at my desk in the winter months.its like a breath of freash air.

btw we had native parakeets in north carolina back in the early days of country(usa).aparently the settlers found it to be their duty to totaly anielate(wipe off the face of the earth)this strange bird.
scooptdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:57 AM   #9

They are real characters those honey eaters. Paul, if you can, provide a birdbath for the birdsthey will love you for it, also more opportunites to photograph them. Great captures.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote