Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1

Some mentioned recently in a post how belligerent White Pelicans can be. These photos taken by local photographer Sam Hung have been circulating on the internet this week (hopefully with his permission), taken a couple of days ago at a lake in a park in Long Beach. He said the cormorant did manage to escape.
Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:45 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:46 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:25 PM   #4

Boy....quite the shots.

When the White Pelicans are around here (not now, it was -32 this AM) I've seen them co-exist peacefully with other water birds, such as Cormorants. I've seen up to about 10 AWB and one loely Cormorant .... on the same large rock drying their wings together.

But I also see AWP when they land in an area of water where there are other water birds...will make a half hearted lunge towards the other birds. The non Pelicans inevitably get the message....usually quickly and move on....right away.

I could well imagine if another bird doesn't move on, than the larger Pelicans would resort to the avian fisticuffs displayed in the pictures. No surprise.

But excellent pictures.......

I notice in the last pix...the Cormorant...somehow in all that chaos..has a fish in it's mouth...the AWP don't....

I have also observed AWP trying to bully Cormorants from their catch, usually without any success, then a short while later...continue to fish....but at a respectable , well whatever an AWP determines is a respectable distance, I'm sure.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:39 AM   #5

Excellent series Penolta. I guess these guys get ornery just like other species. I'm sure Mr Hung wouldn't mind, as they are excellent!....cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:26 PM   #6

Same way Eagles treat birds with fish around here, it is easier to steal food than it is to find it yourself.

Great shots!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:55 PM   #7

I grew up in Florida when there were lots of Bald Eagles and Ospreys around, and I don't think I ever saw an Osprey get to keep its first fish without being bounced by an Eagle and forced to drop it. The habit is known as kleptoparasitism - gulls and Frigate Birds are the worst, pursuing terns assiduously. And of course, Jaegers and Skuas make their living that way.