Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:50 PM   #11

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots Don, the 500 seems to really work out well for such a long lens and a zoom to boot.

Tom
Thanks Tom

Yes, it isn't too bad. Need to do a lot more sharpening though, but that's not unexpected....cheers...Don
Very well done Don.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:35 PM   #12

really very nice, Don. no complaints with any of those, especially for that much zoom! any lens that offers a 10x zoom ratio is necessarily more of a compromise than those with lower zoom ranges, and the Bigma does it better than most. it gives away a little to some of the Canon lenses in terms of sharpness, but Canon doesn't make a zoom that goes to 500mm - you want 500mm, you gotta shell out $5500 or so for the 500 f/4, so Sigma has a pretty solid niche there. personally, i'd love to see Canon extend the reach of the 100-400L to 500mm - i'd be all over that sucker like white on rice! oh well.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 8:36 PM   #13

Nice shots. First one is a ripper!

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:49 AM   #14

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
really very nice, Don. no complaints with any of those, especially for that much zoom! any lens that offers a 10x zoom ratio is necessarily more of a compromise than those with lower zoom ranges, and the Bigma does it better than most. it gives away a little to some of the Canon lenses in terms of sharpness, but Canon doesn't make a zoom that goes to 500mm - you want 500mm, you gotta shell out $5500 or so for the 500 f/4, so Sigma has a pretty solid niche there. personally, i'd love to see Canon extend the reach of the 100-400L to 500mm - i'd be all over that sucker like white on rice! oh well.
Thanks Squirl

Yes, compromises are the name of the game here. But if you want the distance, and don't have $6-7K (here in Canada), you have to use make use of what you can. I'm going to try to micro focus this lens to see if it can be sharpened up a bit. Otherwise, the USM tool is going to be getting a workout.

I really don't think there's a huge difference in the number of pixels captured when shooting at 400mm vs 500mm. When zooming out from 4 - 500, there seems to be little gain. And with the high res cameras out there, crops can easily make up the difference. BUT, a 500 prime would make a big difference in IQ. That's the real gain if you can afford it. I'm saving my $'s.......cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:50 AM   #15

beachboy2 wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots. First one is a ripper!

cheers

bb2
Thanks bb2!
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote