Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:22 PM   #1

These were taken on Taboga Island, Panama. Just a 50min ferry ride from Panama City ($11 roundtrip!). Nikon D90, 70-300mm vr.

Casa B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:29 PM   #2

Nice job capturing the bird but I find the backgrounds rather distracting and take my focus off the Frigate. Sometimes, we have to take what we can get, right? The last shot is excellent however.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3

Thanks Smac. Actually I posted those because they have a background, but I take what you mean. I have lots of other shots where the background is nothing but clouds, so I found these to be a little more interesting. Normally, these birds are out to sea or very high up when they pass over land so I was happy to have a chance to take some close up shots of them. The Panama canal has a large lake in the middle. Apparently fresh water fish from the lake get caught in the locks when ships pass through. Then when the water gets passed out, the salt water kills them and this causes the birds to come. Since the last lock is inland a bit, the frigatebirds wind up coming over land. These pictures were taken on a nearby island in the Bay of Panama, but I had lots of opportunities to see them. The lighting was best with these shots (but still harsh).

I gamma settings on my laptop after I processed these pictures and now they look a bit dark to me
Casa B is offline   Reply With Quote