Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:35 PM   #1

OspreyLand - Pa got Injured

When I got out to the nest neither Ma or Pa were there so I poured a fresh cup of coffee so I could sip on hot coffee while waiting for Ma or Pa or both to arrive. The blue birds were flying around so I figured after coffee I would set up on them.

While I was watching a blue bird I heard a Osprey talking so I looked up and Ma was in the nest but being more vocal than usual. She on a normal day is pretty vocal. I started looking around and saw another Osprey about 200 yards away circling a tree. He finally landed and seemed to be having a hard time with his balance. Ma kept looking towards the other Osprey and continued hollering. She went on for about a hour and she also kept moving around in the nest. I have never seen her act like this so I was paying attention so I could figure out what was going on. The Osprey in the tree finally took off and was heading towards the nest so I got the camera ready. Not flying normal at all but getting closer, he didn't seem to be able to be level. It was Pa, so I started shooting, he came straight at the nest rather than his drop down and swoop up, when he landed he had a very difficult time getting his balance. After he finally settled in I noticed he was injured and my guess is he got in a fight with some other Osprey. I have watched him numerous times run off another male that was to close to the nest. He ended up going down in the nest and he was still there when I left, a couple of hours or so.

I went back early this morning to check on Pa and this time I parked farther away than normal so I wouldn't bother him, he has never been as friendly as Ma is. I found him about 50 yards from the nest in a tree. Ma was working on the nest and seemed to be real busy. I stayed about 4 hours and Pa left the tree and went to the nest one time for about 1/2 hour, then back to the tree. He obviously is not feeling up to par. I will go back tomorrow and see how he is doing.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:26 PM   #2

Roger please let us know how the male Osprey does. Is he injured in the wing or another part of his body ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:32 PM   #3

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
Roger please let us know how the male Osprey does. Is he injured in the wing or another part of his body ?
He seems scraped up pretty goos under his left wing and has a big white feather that is hand loose.

I will keep you all posted on how my friend is doing.

Wacky roger
Old Mar 29, 2009, 9:49 AM   #4

Great series Roger. Hope Pa mends. Let us know how makes out...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:47 PM   #5

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
He seems scraped up pretty goos under his left wing and has a big white feather that is hand loose.

I will keep you all posted on how my friend is doing.

Wacky roger
Thanks Roger.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 1:08 PM   #6

Pa up-date 03-29-09

Everything looks gooood. I stayed back again this morning and watched from a distance and Pa was at the nest and even left and brought back a new stick for the nest. Didn't seem to be having any problems. Ma was even yelling at him and that is normal. I am thinking the bottom line is he got 1 day off for sick leave.

I am thinking I will try for some shots this afternoon.

Wacky roger