Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 17, 2009, 2:21 PM   #1

Default Sunday, more swallows

went back to the park this morning, and the swallows were most eager to pose for me, and again let me get within 6-8 feet of them (even closer, actually, but my lens only focuses at about 6.5 feet, so no shots closer than these...) got better light this time, too... 40D, 100-400L at various settings...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2009, 2:37 PM   #2
conor

one word: WOW.
Old May 18, 2009, 2:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
one word: WOW.
thanks, Conor... it was nice of these little guys to let me get so close!
Old May 18, 2009, 2:23 PM   #4
conor

I grew up in the country, there were barn swallow nests under the eaves of nearly every building around. Those little birds are downright vicious. They're fearless, territorial, and aggressive. I remember as a young child being terrified of going near the nests as they'd dive-bomb you - sometimes you'd actually feel them brush your hair as they flew overhead.
Old May 18, 2009, 6:19 PM   #5

Superb photos Rocky!! Great colour and detail. Cheers, Dan
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 9:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
I grew up in the country, there were barn swallow nests under the eaves of nearly every building around. Those little birds are downright vicious. They're fearless, territorial, and aggressive. I remember as a young child being terrified of going near the nests as they'd dive-bomb you - sometimes you'd actually feel them brush your hair as they flew overhead.
yeah, I grew up on a small farm myself... these little guys had nests in the barn, the garage, even under the eaves of the house. they did do the dive-bombing thing once in a while, if we got too close to the nest, but for the most part, they seemed pretty mellow. i remember seeing the little ones peering out over the edge of their little mud cup - if i'd had the camera gear then that i have now, woulda made some fabulous photos! mind you, when i was growing up, even a simple film SLR was a very rare and expensive proposition...

RWBBs, on the other hand, are a different matter! nothing mellow about those little warriors! i got buzzed by one yesterday at the park, because i was standing on the boardwalk looking at where i knew a nest was; i felt a brush on my shoulder, and turned just in time to see a black blur zoom past up into a tree! the nest is about 5 feet off the side of the boardwalk, and there are babies in it. the male perches in a branch above the boardwalk, and scolds people who stop too long there... one woman actually got pecked the other day!