Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 20, 2009, 9:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
And now that I'm retired (as of yesterday -yay!!! ) I will be spending more time afield.
CONGRATULATIONS, Don !!! You have my best wishes and my deepest envy! One problem with changing careers is that you start your years toward retirement too late....thus, my wife got her 30 years in the classroom done and has been retired two years. I have a minimum of nine years left on my sentence, so I envy both you and my wife.

Your swallow photos are truly excellent, but I expect nothing less any time I look at your work. I've shot a few of these guys, but most of my shots have been mediocre BIF's because of their speed....the only exception being the Northern Rough Winged Swallow I posted in another thread.

BTW, thanks for the description of your workflow. I think your comment about how hard you have worked to improve your final product can be said of this forum in general. The bar has definitely been raised in this forum in the 2-3 years I have been following it.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 9:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
TAnd a great book on how to get the best use out of my Nikon D300 - the Nikon manual being sadly lacking. And now that I'm retired (as of yesterday -yay!!! ) I will be spending more time afield. Thanks again, Dan
Congrats on your retirement. I think you'll find it's the best thing you ever did!

I retired June 2008. My wife got me a Pentax K10D, as an early retirement gift, about 8 months before I retired, but I was so busy those last months at work that I had little time to use this fairly complicated (for me) camera. Once I retired I've been using it almost on a daily basis....spring,summer, fall and yes...even the dreaded Prairie winter.

Like you I bought a couple of books on the K10D (Magic Lantern and the Yves Bourque book)...both of which I've pored through to the point that after some months of enjoyable study I feel I finally have a bit of a handle on my K10D.

My chief interest pursuit now is photography and it's been great. It's always been a priority hobby, but now with retirement I've been able to move it up .

Les

lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 7:21 PM   #13

Default More Tree Swallows

Thanks Les and Paul (my name's Dan BTW, not Don ). I just finished the balance of photos from my tree swallow excursion of the other day. I used to complain that I had so many photos and so little time - but not anymore. Here are the last of the batch. Best regards, DAn
Attached Images

fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 4:46 PM   #14

Wow, very nice. Love the color and sharpness. Great captures.
Best, Rick
SLOPOKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 6:37 AM   #15

Thanks Rick - glad you like them. Cheers, Dan
Old May 29, 2009, 9:58 PM   #16

Love all your shots Dan. Do you mind me asking what you use for equipment?
vexedviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:21 PM   #17

Thanks Vex,

I use a Nikon D300 with a Nikon 70-200m f2.8 VR coupled with a Nikon 1.7X extender. All my bird photos are shot handheld - that's where the vibration redution (image stabilisation) really shines. Cheers, Dan
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:37 PM   #18

WOW - that third one is amazing! I'm at work right now, and no photo software - what lens did you shoot that with?
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 8:31 AM   #19

Beautiful bird portraits. Good detail and color.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote