Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 3, 2003, 2:03 PM   #1

Default Out of the Mist

Dense ground fog, sun never popped through, had to resort to ISO 800 to gather enough light.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2003, 2:18 PM   #2

What a great couple. You should print it out and give them a copy. I'm sure they'd love it.

I also like your other geese picture very much.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:00 PM   #3

Here's one of those instances when a rule is happily broken. You've got the main focus practically dead center in the picture, and it's precisely where it needs to be.

Great picture!

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:14 PM   #4

hrm. Looks strange. Have the birds been added in photoshop? They look too sharp, too bright, too high contrast to fit in the image. And they also seem to be toooooo small to be closer than the branches. Or is it just me?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:37 PM   #5

Appears to be contrived. The right wing of the top bird is underneath the branch which the bird is not that close too and the branch under the bottom bird can be seen through the birds somewhat transparent underbelly. This second case is obviously an overlay where the opacity was less than 100%. Sorry.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 8:42 PM   #6

Default Ghost busters?

You guys are a hoot! What, do you work for ghost busters or what?I'm glad that You chose to share my day with me.I'm glad you had your enjoyment with my photograph. Its too bad you could not enjoy it for the shot that it is.I don't own or use photo shop and if I were to contrive it I most certainly would have used three geese not two and I would not have used a bird with motion blur on it's wing. Photography is subjective and each of us now has made our points. If you would like I would E-mail the original file so you could see it before jpeg compression. thanks for having a look and posting your opinions.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:01 PM   #7

Personally, I like it. The photo is 'relaxing' to the eye. Reminds me of a Robert Bateman style painting, his paintings are so detailed they look like photos. Good capture
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 6:49 AM   #8

Sorry if I wrongly judged your photo. I took another look using Photoshop and magnifying up to 600% I agree that the photo is authentic and NOT contrived. The thing that thew me off was the color on the under belly lining up with the branch behind of the lower goose. But upon reexamining if appears to be a coincidence.
It is truly a remarkable photo. I am going to have to stop watching Court TV.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 8:20 AM   #9

No need to ever be sorry, open exchange of ideas and opinions is what the forum is all about. My intent in sharing the photo was to show that even at ISO 800, allthough noise is quite evident, the photo still holds together fairly well. I had been to the same spot with similar conditions and came away with only spoiled shots. I only wanted to prompt people not to fear the higher ISO settings as than can be an invaluable tool.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 9:20 AM   #10

Excellent photo!

Bcoultry, just my view of the use of rules in photography

As for rules, there are no rules only suggestions for assisting you to make balanced or dynamic or static images. Once you learn them you can ignore them and make images that work. Like this one.

Way back in the distant past, I thought one of my profs was nuts when he made us go forth and do the rule of 3rds, then the rule of 5ths then the rule of 7th, 9ths etc. It became really tough to come up with anything at that point.
Then came the lessons on composing to the S (european and american) curve they are reversed! and diagonals and circles. Then after this major pain we were told now that we know how to compose by the rules, throw them out and go make images. 8-) best suggestion ever!

Thanks for sharing.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote