Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 8, 2009, 5:22 PM   #1

Default Great Egret

Canon 50D, Canon 600mm, 1/2500 @ f4, ISO 200
Attached Images

Last edited by redrew; Aug 11, 2009 at 7:51 PM. Reason: Re-post with forground canvas added
redrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:02 PM   #2

I really like the composition. Everything ( the bending grasses, the position of the stalking egret) is leading the eye of the viewer to where the focus of the egret is. I might have allowed for a little more water at the bottom of the picture since the focal point of this shot is so strong in that direction. But, that's a small criticism. This is a very difficult bird to photograph because of it's blazing white feathers. Some of the white highlights are a little blow out but it is still a very appealing photo.

Steve

Last edited by smac; Aug 9, 2009 at 2:05 PM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:47 AM   #3

Default Great Egret

Thank you for your comment. On bright days blown out whites on this bird and other bright white wading birds are my nemisis as I always have hot spots which I try to reduce by burning in Photoshop. However in bright sunlight if I try to correct in camera by adjusting white balance or by exposure reduction then the bird appears gray and surrounding colors tend to be flat. Though I check my histogram and the flashing highlight in my view finder, it is still difficult for me with these birds. I also agree that a little more of the forground would be better, though the image's forground was not cropped. However, in this case, I can add more foreground with photoshop which I will try. Any suggestions regarding correction of hot whites whether in camera or with Photoshop would be appreciated.

RED
redrew is offline   Reply With Quote