Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 16, 2009, 1:49 PM   #11
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Interesting - I used this lens a lot on my Maxxums (7000i and 7xi) and don't recall ever noticing much of a vignetting problem, but it has been a while. Not too long ago I posted a series of threads of birds taken with it on the APSC size a350 - I think your FF a900 shots are better.
Check out the light fall-off at the top corners (and sides):
-> It's not going to be noticeable on a cropped dSLR - The sharpness is amazing as you can tell by the tiny furs sticking out from the back of the head

Last edited by NHL; Sep 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
Check out the light fall-off at the top corners (and sides):
-> It's not going to be noticeable on a cropped dSLR - The sharpness is amazing as you can tell by the tiny furs sticking out from the back of the head
Probably not so noticeable against a background other than a clear blue sky - it is evident in your eagle shot too. Almost like a central hot spot. I know what you mean about the resolving power of this lens - I was taking a lot of pictures at sea of often distant seabirds on normally grainy ISO 400 film with the Maxxums and still got sharp pictures in spite of that.

The question of this lens came up in another thread, in which I posted links to my first a350 bird shots with it. At the risk of being repetitive, anyone who hasn't already seen them and is interested how it performs on the smaller sensor can follow them up at the end of that thread:

Photomicrography with the Sony a300/a350

Last edited by penolta; Sep 20, 2009 at 1:21 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:44 PM   #13
NHL

IMO It's probably not so much the lens as this was fine with film cameras, but rather the characteristic of the microlenses on the FF sensor - They should have used the same technique of offsetting theses peripheral micolenses on the sensor along the same line as on the new Leica M9...

Excellent link: Photomicrography with the Sony a300/a350
-> IMO it's why I said this was Sony best kept secret!

Last edited by NHL; Sep 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 3:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
IMO It's probably not so much the lens as this was fine with film cameras, but rather the characteristic of the microlenses on the FF sensor - They should have used the same technique of offsetting theses peripheral micolenses on the sensor along the same line as on the new Leica M9...

Excellent link: Photomicrography with the Sony a300/a350
-> IMO it's why I said this was Sony best kept secret!
Thanks.

You are probably right about the FF sensor - I wonder if the new a850 is any better on that score.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:02 PM   #15

I take it that this lens comes only in a Minolta mount?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:24 PM   #16
Administrator

Right. This lens design (the only production Autofcocus Mirror Lens ever made by any manufacturer) was first introduced by Minolta for it's Dynax/Maxxum/Alpha 35mm camera models, continuing with the Konica Minolta dSLR models (7D, 5D). Sony has continued to offer this 500mm f/8 Autofocus Reflex lens for use with it's Alpha dLSR models, after they acquired Konica Minolta's camera related assets.

You won't find a 500mm Reflex lens with Autofocus for any other manufacturer's lens mount (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Right. This lens design (the only production Autofcocus Mirror Lens ever made by any manufacturer) was first introduced by Minolta for it's Dynax/Maxxum/Alpha 35mm camera models, continuing with the Konica Minolta dSLR models (7D, 5D). Sony has continued to offer this 500mm f/8 Autofocus Reflex lens for use with it's Alpha dLSR models, after they acquired Konica Minolta's camera related assets.

You won't find a 500mm Reflex lens with Autofocus for any other manufacturer's lens mount (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, etc.).
Since I'm in the midst of giving up smoking, I believe in shooting the messenger of bad new...

Actually, I'm happy with my Swarovski, although this appears a tad sharper. Hard to say. NHL should post some of his "lemons" and make me feel better.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote