Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:07 AM   #1

Default Wood Ducks

There were lots of these around the other day....cheers...Don
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:18 AM   #2

Everytime I see these ducks my first reaction is to swear off drugs and booze. On my monitor the contrast is to extreme, other than that, wonderful shots.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Super Moderator

good sharpness throughout. the last 1 is my fav. square format works well and the sunlight captured his face and frontside nicely.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Everytime I see these ducks my first reaction is to swear off drugs and booze. On my monitor the contrast is to extreme, other than that, wonderful shots.

Dave
Thanks Dave

Yes, I agree they are "punchy", but that's what I was going for. Is your monitor calibrated? I shot these in jpg using the "vivid" setting for the camera. Just messing about....D.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
good sharpness throughout. the last 1 is my fav. square format works well and the sunlight captured his face and frontside nicely.
Thanks. The last one was hiding in the shadows keeping an eye on me...D.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman620 View Post
Thanks Dave

Yes, I agree they are "punchy", but that's what I was going for. Is your monitor calibrated? I shot these in jpg using the "vivid" setting for the camera. Just messing about....D.
I believe my monitor is perfectly calibrated. I notice that people on these forums are reluctant to criticise really good shots - As these are really good shots. For your benefit, I think people should be less reluctant to either critique your shots, or critique my critique...

Just because I believe my monitor to be calibrated, doesn't make it so.

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2009, 1:46 PM   #7

Don,
These are great shots. I, like you, tend to prefer the vivid setting in my shots as well. Just personal preference. I guess it depends on the individual and how they perceive the world. That, in my opinion, is what makes nature photography so interesting to me and why I enjoy seeing others perspective and how they see the world. I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to shoot or expose. Obviously, some shots work while others, not so much. But, unless we try different things it will all become too boring. Just my opinion.

I wish there were more Woodies down here.

Cheers,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 1:49 PM   #8

Chato,
I agree with you 100% Getting good feedback is how we improve. Any constructive criticism can only serve to help us get better. Different perspective views on a shot can open up new possibilities.

All the best,
Steve
Old Sep 27, 2009, 3:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
Chato,
I agree with you 100% Getting good feedback is how we improve. Any constructive criticism can only serve to help us get better. Different perspective views on a shot can open up new possibilities.

All the best,
Steve
I am not shy about posting these little criticisms - Nor do I object in having my criticisms politely rebutted. The pictures under discussion are very good, and that is true EVEN if my criticism is correct. Others have pointed out that they LIKE this look - A rebutal if ever there was one...

But whether this "look" is better than I expect, I raise a legitimate point and I raise it only to help the photographer. Are these images very contrasty, and is that deliberate? In which case it becomes simply a matter of taste, or is the photographer unaware of how contrasty they are?

Once again - Great pictures!

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2009, 6:53 PM   #10

But whether this "look" is better than I expect, I raise a legitimate point and I raise it only to help the photographer. Are these images very contrasty, and is that deliberate? In which case it becomes simply a matter of taste, or is the photographer unaware of how contrasty they are?

Once again - Great pictures!

Dave[/QUOTE]

Dave,
No argument here. I always appreciate constructive critiques. As you say, it lets me know if my photos have any room (and they always do) for improvement. I think we're saying the same thing with different words.

Keep 'em comin'
Steve