Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 3, 2009, 4:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave59 View Post
That photo is stunning Dave. But I really don't think that the cardinal I took a picture of had that much color on her. I am in southern Alabama, I see you are in New York, would that make a difference in their coloring, I wonder. I did try to calibrate my monitor, I'm not sure I did it right. Thanks,

Suzie
Maybe...

The thing is, color or no color, your version is completely "washed out." You didn't get my normal gratuitous insults, as "Hey, Yuz blew the highlights," because all the details, feathering, etc, are clearly visible.

Nor do I know how the image I shot appears on Your monotor. To complicate matters even more, images shown on the net, do NOT look the same as images on your computer desk. Few programs on the net properly display colors. This adds insult to injury.

Here's the best I can do with your image. On my monitor the colors are a bit off, but the depth of color looks correct.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 4:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I had a go at it in Gimp. Not much of an improvement... but some
The colors look better, and less washed out. But the contrast is too strong.

Dave
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:09 PM   #13

Dave,

OK so I'm slow to this game, your version does look ALOT better than mine.

Suzie
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:20 PM   #14

Dave,

I went back into my paint shop pro , and did figure out how to add red tones, and helped the picture alot. But I can't figure out how to "darken" the washed out areas .

Suzie
Old Oct 3, 2009, 6:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave59 View Post
Dave,

I went back into my paint shop pro , and did figure out how to add red tones, and helped the picture alot. But I can't figure out how to "darken" the washed out areas .

Suzie
I'm not familiar with that program. In Photoshop, after altering the colors and contrast, I simply called up the "Curves" option, and made the entire image darker. By making this "pull" on the brighter end of the spectrum is darkened the lighter area more. Keep in mind that if you had "blown" the highlights, this would not have been possible - We can't darken what's not there - But everything WAS there.

Here's what the curves option looks like:

In other words, I first altered the colors, then altered the contrast. I then darkened the entire image, emphasizing the lighter portion of the image. I then gave it a little sharpening, and finally ran it through Noise Ninja, but ONLY eliminated chroma (i.e. color) noise.

Photoshop has a net preview option, so again I pulled the image to be a touch darker.

As you can see, YOUR image ain't bad at all!!!!

Dave
Old Oct 3, 2009, 7:47 PM   #16

Thanks for that info, Dave, I will experiment in my program. I have seen that but didn't know how or when to use it. Thanks again!!

Suzie
Old Oct 4, 2009, 3:58 AM   #17

I opened your photo in Photoshop and without touching it, it looked excellent. Then I opened it in a Preview program and it was washed out like we see from the site. Its hard to criticize pics on color or detail when they are altered so much after being posted. After altering the gamma slightly it brought out detail similar to that posted by Chato but without the blue shift. Comparing the two only you can tell which is more correct to the original scene.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Oct 4, 2009 at 4:07 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 8:01 AM   #18

Thank you Bynx , your first sentence means alot. Just the fact that you guys think the picture is good despite the colors means a lot.

Suzie
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:06 AM   #19

Nice photos, the female cardinal photo is very pretty.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:38 PM   #20

I agree that the color in both photographs is off considerably. For example, here is the coloration of a female Cardinal.
Attached Images

101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote