Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 10, 2009, 2:07 PM   #1

Default I really like...

... the way this one came out. From the SP590.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2009, 4:29 PM   #2

I like to play a game with myself over at bird forum. I bet which shot is from a DSLR, and which from a P&S. I would have lost with this shot, because the detail is crystal clear. I find it a rare thing to get this kind of clarity from a P&S camera.

Well done!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 7:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
I like to play a game with myself over at bird forum. I bet which shot is from a DSLR, and which from a P&S. I would have lost with this shot, because the detail is crystal clear. I find it a rare thing to get this kind of clarity from a P&S camera.

Well done!

Dave
Thanks very much, Dave. I find the SP590 impresses me more & more almost each time I use it.... which is becoming increasingly more & more
My Gallery

--
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:00 PM   #4

Thats a nice camera you have gjtoth. The Olympus SP590 is well under half the price of a dslr and as you have shown, takes a very good picture. There is no name yet for your camera. Its not a point and shoot and its not a dslr. Its a "bridge" camera capable of some pretty good stuff. There is a silly snob thinking by people with dslrs who think the only good photo can come from a dslr. Well I predict the dslr is a thing of the past. Mirrors and prisms are a carry over from the old days. All a bridge camera needs is a better sensor and it will produce photos every bit as good as or even better than the best dslr and without the bulk that a dslr needs.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Thats a nice camera you have gjtoth. The Olympus SP590 is well under half the price of a dslr and as you have shown, takes a very good picture. There is no name yet for your camera. Its not a point and shoot and its not a dslr. Its a "bridge" camera capable of some pretty good stuff. There is a silly snob thinking by people with dslrs who think the only good photo can come from a dslr. Well I predict the dslr is a thing of the past. Mirrors and prisms are a carry over from the old days. All a bridge camera needs is a better sensor and it will produce photos every bit as good as or even better than the best dslr and without the bulk that a dslr needs.
It can do with a faster burst shot rate, too. But, for the most part, I do agree with your thinking. Might take a while, though
My Gallery

--
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:11 PM   #6

Quote:
No offense. But you can't beat the ability to interchange lenses. No single lens is ever going to have the quality with one, do all, meets all, characteristics. If I'm doing fixed, studio work, I use a prime. For street shooting I use a small zoom, for wildlife photpgraphy I use a dedicated high mm lens. True, I am facinated with the quality of my Sigma DP2, but that camera uses a prime.

This shot by gjtothwould have cost me money, if I had bet on which camera he had used - Nevertheless...

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Oct 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:19 PM   #7

Panasonic G1/GH1 have interchangeable lenses. And no mirror or prisms so not a dslr.
The length of time it takes to faze out dslr will depend on what the public wants. If G1/GH1 and other micro four thirds cameras take off they could very well be the spear point for a whole new type of camera.

Last edited by Bynx; Oct 10, 2009 at 8:23 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Panasonic G1/GH1 have interchangeable lenses. And no mirror or prisms so not a dslr.
The length of time it takes to faze out dslr will depend on what the public wants. If G1/GH1 and other micro four thirds cameras take off they could very well be the spear point for a whole new type of camera.
All well and good, but the SP590 is not an interchangable lens camera. In other words, one lens is being asked to proform the functions of many.

But there is a greater issue raised by your post. "TTL", or "through the lens" viewing is a logical extension of the SLR concept. I see, the new cameras which use EVIL as simply an extention of the SLR camera.

The lenth of time in which normal SLR cameras are replaced will simply be a reflection of the time when an EVIL camera surpasses, in "All situations" the OVF. They are getting close, but as yet, there are circumstance where an OVF beats an EVF. Give it ten years or so, who knows? Maybe five.

Even then, it simply amounts to an improvement over the SLR - You are still using TTL technology.

Dave
Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:11 PM   #9

While the SP590 may not have interchangeable lenses, it has a full 26x optical zoom offering an extremely useful 26 - 676mm equivalent focal length range. Not bad for the price. It would cover most situations, of course one can never have too long a lens but 26X would do. If you dont need to change lenses then why do it if you can have a couple already built in, so to speak. An advantage to that is that there is less chance to have dust on the sensor. Sorry gtoth this is getting away from your fine photo and going on more about your camera.

Last edited by Bynx; Oct 10, 2009 at 9:17 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:44 PM   #10

That's one impressive shot Gary!!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote