Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 11, 2009, 9:08 PM   #1

Default Woody Lewis Is Stashing Food

Woody Lewis Is Stashing Food

Finally I took a few hours and went looking for birds or any other kind of wildlife I could find. I think I was testing myself to see If I still could find something. I haven't been out looking for wildlife since June. Last year was the first year anybody could remember that a Lewis Woodpecker spent the winter and today I was watching him stash food in the same tree he used last year so it looks like I will have Woody for another winter.

I only have another week of the trains season and then of course some scouting for elk but I am taking a few days off to meet a couple of friends at the Bosque the 1st of November so I figured I better get in a little practice.

Wacky roger

Last edited by WackyRoger; Oct 26, 2009 at 8:58 PM.
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2009, 9:45 PM   #2

These are great shots of a bird I've never seen. Much thanks for such a dramatic introduction!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:49 PM   #3

Amazing detail. After 63 years that bird is a first for me. Thanks.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 7:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
These are great shots of a bird I've never seen. Much thanks for such a dramatic introduction!

Dave

Thanks for the nice words Dave and for looking.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Amazing detail. After 63 years that bird is a first for me. Thanks.

I am glad I got to post your first Lewis.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:48 PM   #6

Roger, I remember your Lewis Woodpecker pictures from last year - not a commonly photographed bird, so it is a good one to start this year with - welcome back - your excellent photos have been missed these last few months.

These are interesting birds, related both to Red-headed Woodpeckers of the East and Acorn Woodpeckers of the West. Interestingly enough, they share habits of both -- hawking insects in the air like the Red Heads and storing acorns in the bark of trees like the Acorn Woodpeckers (except they shell them first!). So watch and see what they are doing on the tree trunks - maybe you can catch one storing acorns! The Acorn Woodpeckers hammer their acorns into holes they have made that are slightly smaller, so that the acorn will stay put and can't be stolen by squirrels, Jays, or Nutcrackers, but it would be interesting to see how the Lewis do it without a shell to pound on.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:05 PM   #7

Beautiful series Roger. Nice to see you posting again, I remember your postings from the Pana FZ30 forum, you've come long way since then.
Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:17 PM   #8

The Lewis is a first for me as well. Thanks for posting such excellent shots.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Roger, I remember your Lewis Woodpecker pictures from last year - not a commonly photographed bird, so it is a good one to start this year with - welcome back - your excellent photos have been missed these last few months.

These are interesting birds, related both to Red-headed Woodpeckers of the East and Acorn Woodpeckers of the West. Interestingly enough, they share habits of both -- hawking insects in the air like the Red Heads and storing acorns in the bark of trees like the Acorn Woodpeckers (except they shell them first!). So watch and see what they are doing on the tree trunks - maybe you can catch one storing acorns! The Acorn Woodpeckers hammer their acorns into holes they have made that are slightly smaller, so that the acorn will stay put and can't be stolen by squirrels, Jays, or Nutcrackers, but it would be interesting to see how the Lewis do it without a shell to pound on.
I have taken some shots of him stashing food in the tree, yes he taps it in and what ever it is no shell as far as i can tell. Next time I will keep one of him hiding his food and post it.

thank you for the kind words about my photos.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnite View Post
Beautiful series Roger. Nice to see you posting again, I remember your postings from the Pana FZ30 forum, you've come long way since then.
Emmanuel

I think I have improved a little. I still have as much fun as I did on my first day.