Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 16, 2003, 4:41 PM   #1

Default Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge

First attempt to film a Heron in Flight.

Comments Please

http://www.pbase.com/image/23332113

http://www.pbase.com/image/23332112
videocastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:48 AM   #2

Nice shots, but with that awesome equipment you should have gained more details af the herons. But then again I guess you must have using your 100-400mm at 400mm.

Only way to get the birds nearer is to crop the original shots. After all it's the birds you want to show not the air arond them, right ? The herons fills about 5% of the shots - that too little. Just an friendly advice...
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 1:15 PM   #3

To see if it was a pattern, I looked through your other photos, and sure enough, it was a pattern. Most of your centers of interest are exactly that--in the center. As you're framing in the camera or cropping later on, see how your subject looks off-center. In the Western world where we read from the top left to the bottom right, there are spots where our eyes naturally go. In the magazine and newspaper world, the top left position for an ad costs quite a bit more than the bottom right because of this. In the world of art, this is slightly altered by the fact that the eye can be "led" to the main subject via color, line, mass, and contrast. Nevertheless, just as in advertising, the center point isn't often the prime point. Many of your photos are truly excellent and need little more than some careful cropping. In other words, I really like them, and my suggestion for moving the location of the center of interest is in the spirit of making them even better.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 1:51 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated.

Jerry
videocastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 6:30 PM   #5

Jerry...

your heron floating above the water...its reflection traveling with it is pure magic!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote