Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:31 PM   #1

Default Red Squirrel

I was out in a local Nature reserve trying to photograph Chickadees and hoping for a Purple Finch which are known to visit the area. None of the shots I got were very good, (no finch) I think this is a weak lens, I was set up on a tripod with a remote shutter release and this is about the best shot I could get, certainley not as crisp and sharp as I was expecting. The lens came with the camera, and I'm sure Canon and their retailers are just trying to unload them. In any case I'll be looking for a better lens for wildlife shots. Comments and suggestions on the photo or lenses welcome.
Canon T1i
Lens EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM

Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/800
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
ISO Speed 1600
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM
Focal Length 300.0 mm
White Balance Mode Shade
Attached Images

Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:05 PM   #2

Scottie, most will agree that the 75-300, whether it be the Canon version or the Sony version, is not THAT great a lens. A better choice in my opinion would be the Tamron 70-300 LD DI Macro, for under two hundred new. Better yet would be the Canon 70-300 IS, for around six hundred. I have the Tamron for my Sony A300, and had one for my Nikon D50, and I love the output for the price. Much better than the 75-300. And you get Macro from 180mm -300mm, at a 1:2 ratio. I have included a random pic from the lens.

Dragonfly shot at 180mm f/8 at 1/60th...I probably shoul have used f/16, but my shutter speed would have been mighty slow...

One more, of King, my German Shepherd. I am satisfied with the lens, but everyone has their own standard. Good luck! Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:29 PM   #3

Scottie - That is a really cute picture of the red squirrel. I agree that it looks a bit soft - wonder if the lens would do better stopped down a bit more?
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:27 PM   #4

True, its soft but, still a cute pic.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.
Hawgwild, the dragonfly pic is really quite good. I checked my camera shop and they do have the Tamron lens you suggested, $199.00 Canadian. I think they will let me try it before I buy it.

Thanks Again
scottie
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:54 PM   #6

Scottie, I agree with the rest of the guys, cute but soft. Your photo seems to have had enough light - I'm curious as to why you went to ISO 1600? I would have selected something in the ISO 400 range. The unknown factor here is your distance to the squirrel. Is this a cropped shot? As to lens, I agree with Hawgwild about the Canon 70-300 IS. A tad expensive for some, perhaps but the better glass and IS would help you with wildlife subjects. And you wouldn't always have to lug a tripod around since most of your shots would likely be handheld. Anyway, best of luck with your selection. Cheers, Dan
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
Scottie, I agree with the rest of the guys, cute but soft. Your photo seems to have had enough light - I'm curious as to why you went to ISO 1600? I would have selected something in the ISO 400 range. The unknown factor here is your distance to the squirrel. Is this a cropped shot? As to lens, I agree with Hawgwild about the Canon 70-300 IS. A tad expensive for some, perhaps but the better glass and IS would help you with wildlife subjects. And you wouldn't always have to lug a tripod around since most of your shots would likely be handheld. Anyway, best of luck with your selection. Cheers, Dan
I can't comment on Canon glass, as I am not a user of that brand, but I can agree with Robert on the Tamron 70-300. I have used one for some time with great satisfaction. It excels in the macro range, and probably provides the best bang for the buck of any lens currently around. There may be better lenses around, but not anywhere near that price range. However, you do have to put up with the minor inconvenience of a macro switch.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote