Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:37 PM   #11

Great shots all of them, love the pair of swan photo. You can see the nice light from your photos. It must have be a real treat having a nice day.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:58 AM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
these turned out great Torgney.

I also love the symmetry of the shot with the pair. thats a great photograph!
hards80,

Thank you. As you know symmetry, various repetitive patterns, diagonals, essentially every geometrical form, such as triangles, rombs etcetera greatly contribute to compositions - or rather - they are the compositions

That goes for landscape in particular and of course every other category of photography too. Suppose the the eyes (ie the brain) works that way that it searches for order in chaos; or to put i more mildly search tor recognizable structures

Anyhow it's a wonder

//T
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:21 AM   #13

Default Truly magnificent wild-life-shots, Torgny!

They are all good, but I particularly like the details in # 2 - Well done, Torgny! You made the most of a few hours of sunshine.

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:25 AM   #14

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Great shots all of them, love the pair of swan photo. You can see the nice light from your photos. It must have be a real treat having a nice day.
shoturtle,

The sun never goes very high in winter up here. It stays low all day. Know you're interested in hardware. Picked up the 450 (essentially the same as your 500) from my bag; with the "kit tele" EF-S 55-250.

Was at the photo store earlier yesterday (the same day) to trade in a couple of lenses for a 100-400, but it was crowded so I left and decided to give the 55-250 a second chance,

So, what do you think, is the quality good enough on these pictures? It would spare me a lot of money, especially since the price is twice as high over here. Any advice welcome

Torgny
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:51 AM   #15

Fantastic photos, all very beautiful.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:45 AM   #16

They are really outstanding in my opinion, with the lens you have.
Hard to imagine they could get better but, perhaps with the 400mm you might get better detail. I can't say really because I have no experience with Cannon.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:52 AM   #17

The photos are very sharp, and I agree that you may get just a little more details with the 100-400. But I see you like taking birds and animals. The 400 would give you allot more reach if the object is further away and it is a way faster lens with the USM. But you are also adding allot of weight. My wife does not use our 70-300 because it just adds allot more weight to the 500D when walking around. She preferred the 55-250.

But I think these shots are spot on honestly. Think that has to do with your skills more then the lens. So if you were going to do allot more bird shots, I would move up to the 400. If you want a bit fast AF and want to save allot of money over the 400, look at the ef 70-300. It is faster then the 55-250 with better reach and only 1/3 the price of the 100-400 and lot lighter.

Don't temp me, I have been eyeing the 100-400 myself, but I really do not need that much zoom or the weight in my camera bag.

What lenses are you thinking about trading in?

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 25, 2010 at 9:05 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:26 PM   #18

flutelady,

Goldwinger,

shoturtle

Thank you all for viewing and the comments. Much appreciated

Torgny
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The photos are very sharp, and I agree that you may get just a little more details with the 100-400. But I see you like taking birds and animals. The 400 would give you allot more reach if it object if further away and it is a way faster lens with the USM. But you are also adding allot of weight. My wife does not use our 70-300 because it just adds allot more weight to the 500D when walking around. She preferred the 55-250.

But I think these shots are spot on honestly. Think that has to do with your skills more then the lens. So if you were going to do allot more bird shots, I would move up to the 400. If you want a bit fast AF and want to save allot of money over the 400, look at the ef 70-300. It is faster then the 55-250 with better reach and only 1/3 the price of the 100-400 and lot lighter.

Don't temp me, I have been eyeing the 100-400 myself, but I really do not need that much zoom or the weight in my camera bag.

What lenses are you thinking about trading in?

shoturtle,

Thanks for your detailed reply. Have a couple of camera houses but not enough lenses to cover my interests. Yes, the 100-400 is very heavy to carry

I think I'll settle for the few lenses I have, at least for now.

A bit worrying is that there can be big differences between different copies, even within the L series.

Of course you want the sharpest copy. Canon's own tolerances are bigger than the tolerances of the Service centers so it might be a good idea to let them check the lenses before the warranty expires

Torgny
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:22 PM   #20

Actually I found out that a factory refurbish lens goes through allot more testing then a new lens. It kinda funny that you might get the sharpest copy getting a factory refurbish and save a little money at the same time.